Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I learned something today

Options
Grillin Guy
Grillin Guy Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a Mavrick ET73 after reading several good reviews on the forum. For the initial cook with it, I put on a 9 lb pork butt last night around 10:30. I've been wanting to see what the real difference is between dome and grate temps are so I hooked the Mavrick to the grate and watched until I reached 230 at the grate. I was suprised to see a 60 degree difference between the Tel Tru and the ET73. All this time I have been allowing for a 25 to 30 degree difference on fast cooks.

After getting everything set I waited an hour and checked it again. The ET73 read 230 and the Tel Tru read 280. 50 degrees difference. After 3 hours, the difference was 40 degrees. I checked again at 5 this morning and the difference was only 30 degrees. Went to work, and came home around 10 to check it again and the Tel True and Mavrick read exactly the same thing. It stayed the same for the duration of the cook (I took it off at 2 this afternoon and it was delicious for supper).

For some reason, I expected the dome temp to stay higher then the grate temp for the duration of the cook, but I guess after almost 12 hours of cooking, the egg equalizes.

I was more then pleased with the ET73. The only complaint I have was that the remote wouldn't connect withe the transmiter when I was in my bedroom. The range is 100 feet IF there are no walls to impede it. I had hoped to set it beside the bed and it would wake me if there was any changes I should know about. It didn't, but that's okay. Sleep is highly overrated.

Next purchase, BBQ Guru!

Terry
Gulfport, MS

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I found about the same to be true on the temps and also on the Maverick..disappointed with the range..often it wont link up from 10ft away with a wall in between...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You must have a bad unit.

Mine works with a great range. In the bedroom (upstairs through brick), on the front porch (egg is on back porch - big house), all through the house....never lose signal on it.

I have heard others with similar problems, I wonder if there is a soldering problem with the antenna on one of the two pieces.....maybe poor quality control....who knows.
  • mtn egger
    mtn egger Posts: 62
    Options
    I have found the temp difference about the same to start but I haven't looked at it to close futher into the cook. interesting.
    All my slow & slow cooks have put me on the couch to sleep with my ET73 because of reception problems, and it still loses connection sometimes. When you see the look on peoples face when they taste the pulled pork or brisket it is worth it.