Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Back Ribs - Smoking Temp

Rib Fan
Rib Fan Posts: 305
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, currently smoking up 4 racks of meaty baby backs and current temp at grill level is 213F. I know that is good temp on other smokers but is this a good temp on the BGE? What do you aim for in terms of dome temp? Also, do you pull the ribs once internal temp of 170 or so is reached or do you just go by feel?

Thanks

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Depending on your set-up...

I'd aim for about 235-250 "Dome" reading, (if you're cooking indirect).
    I'm wanting a grid temp of 220-235.

Each egg is a little different, so if you can get another thermy and determine the corresponding
    reading at your grid or dome temp...it will give you an idea of the difference between.

With the same setup...it should be about the same from cook to cook.

As to doneness..I go by feel and/or "bendyness"!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Rib Fan
    Thanks Chubby,

I am using a Maverick remote thermometer. Grate level is at 210 now. Internal temp (between ribs) is at 149) Dome temp is about 225 (according to BGE thermometer) which seems about right. Using "Magic Dust" rub inspired by Mike Mills Apple City BBQ Team. Spritz with apple juice every couple hours. Using Hickery wood (original recipe calls for apple but find the flavour too sweet). Final mop using Mike Mills BBQ sauce.
    Smells great! We'll see how it turns out.
  • Rib Fan
    Chubby just re-read your post. Guess I should up the grid temp to 220-225?

Thanks
  • Your back ribs are done when the internal temp measured by a Thermo-Pen carefully placed right in the center of the slab measures 195 to about 199 internal temp.

The LOWEST recommended temp by the USDA and FSIS for all your bbq type of smoking is 250 degrees measured at the COOKING Grid and NOT the dome.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Barbecue_Food_Safety/index.asp

You gain nothing using a lower temp!!!

Dipstick
  • Chubby
    Yes...I think I would.

If your cooking indirect on a egg...anywhere between 220- 240 will work just fine.
    Everyone has their preferences...but in general, you're fine in that temperature range.

My point earlier was that most Eggs will display a 15-40 degree difference in Grate to Dome temps. Finding what difference your egg usually runs at will be helpfull in the future for sure.

As long as you keep your indirtect setups the same...your differential in temps should remain about the same as well.

Good Luck...hope this helps!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Dipstick wrote...

"You gain nothing using a lower temp"!!!

Not to be confrontational,(or argue with our Government for that matter....heee!!!) but I suspect

there's an industry filled with folks who might dissagree with that assurtion!

Evans
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Make sure you use the bend test. I didn't last time and they seemed tough after 3 1/2 hours. I believe ribs are like butts, you need to keep cooking to get them to that tender stage. Next time I am definitely going to use the bend method for doneness.
  • I am a newbie. Could you describe the bend test? I have done some ribs, some good, some overdone. Thanks
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Grab the rack (assuming a full rack) with a pair of long tongs supporting only half the rack and then lift straight up - the ribs should bend and almost break in half - or if you like falling off the bone, they will break in half!

CaptainChili wrote:
    I am a newbie. Could you describe the bend test? I have done some ribs, some good, some overdone. Thanks
  • Rib Fan
    Thanks for all your help guys. Ribs turned out great! Used indirect at 220 for remainder of cook. Was approx. 4 1/2 hours..internal temp 175....perfect! Not falling off the bone (don't like that anyway) but nice moist ribs with some "pull"
    BTW once things settled down I found that the grate temp was exactly the same as the dome temp....guess this is good testiment to how well the Egg evenly distributes heat.
    Dipstick I have to disagree with your reply, I respect it, but have to disagree.....if it works for you than that is all that matters.

Cheers to all.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Just read the USDA link that dipstick posted. It said the temp "in" the smoker should be 250-300 degrees, it did not mention grid temp. So based on that I would have to disagree. Somewhat of a newbie here and I have done all of my slow cooking at 250 dome.