Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Burn Time

civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this is discussed frequently but here's another.
I cooked 2 butts this weekend on my medium BGE. Loaded lump half way up on fire ring with RO (USA) and began cooking at 250 degrees. There weren't any real large pieces of lump. They cooked for approximately 12 hours and temp started to drop. No big deal, I put them in the oven and finished them in another 2 hours cook time.

Do you think that is a reasonable burn time or would another brand of lump made a difference? I suppose I could have also filled the lump to near the top of the fire ring and maybe got a couple more hours burn time. Thoughts or is this reasonable given a medium?

P.S. The butts turned out great as usual.

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Saturdaynight in my large I cooked some steaks and shrimp at 400 filled to the top of the fire ring and setup my guru at 240F to do a butt it was done in 17 hours I probably had at least 4 hours of lump left. It was cowboy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have 2 mediums. I would be surprised if a load of RO the size you had burnt away in 12 hours. I would suppose that maybe some RO is not as dense as other. The big chunks of lump seem to be more heartwood, so that might make a difference.
  • I've done 2 cooks with Cleveland Charcoal Supply brand lump that lasted 20 hours each. The Cleveland lump burns faster than RO so you should have had plenty. I did one 18 hour cook with Wicked Good Comp blend and I swear it didn't use 10% of the lump.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    i prefer my medium to my large for economy long burns. i have gotten 20 plus hour burns in the medium on half the lump it takes to keep the large going for 12.

This weekend alone i did yard bird and appy's on friday, 7 lb brisket sat night and 6-7 lbs of beef shorts last night on my large and with using the digi 2 i still went through 15 lbs of RO.