Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my biggest issue

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I always find myself looking for a spot to place hot, and/or dirty, grates and plate setters. There is always that time where I have my HOT grate on my Lawn Ranger grid lifter to change over to a plate setter (vise versa) but always settled on parts of my tables and deck, and by judging by photos of table shots here I can easily assume some of you do the same thing as this has caused some damage.
I am thinking of building a small table, with some tiles
glued to the top, just for this purpose.
Just wonderin' what u folks do for these trying times.
And might i add during those times when all other grills
are being used.
ST

Comments

• Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    I use the old gasser
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I use some left over cut outs from a granite counter top. The 3MM stuff is prettty thick and can handle the heat.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Can you say gasser??
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    I use my gasser and/or old kettle webber.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have a side table with stone top that I use.

Of if I am just using my small, I will put the grid/stone, etc. inside my large.

Spacey
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I also use the old Webers for that purpose. BTW, I always stop to help turtles, and any other creature in jeopardy. Just the other day I stopped to help a frog but it croaked before I got to him.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Use my side table - granite top

101_2644640x480.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I use an old wrought iron side table I got at a garage sale for $5.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I will try to post photos later tody, I posted them a while back. I use a folding trivet I got from Lodge. It is designed to give you a place to set hot dutch oven lids. Works great for almose everything hot I tke out of the egg.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Hi Todd,

One of my better ideas when building The Coop was this simple slot that has a very large aluminum pizza pan in it. When I remove my grid to clean or add lump I just use my trusty LR Gridlifter to move my grid to the pan, grease and all. It's also deep enough to hold my cast iron grid.

LgBGECooking4-15-07.jpg

GridPlace1.jpg

GridPlace2.jpg

The pizza pan also serves to set the plate setter on or any other large dirty item if I need a temporay place. Even to transport items to and from the kitchen.

It also comes in handy when raking ash out.

I suppose you could build multiple slots for all your grids to store them but I built in a special cabinet for those too, including my new collection of stainless steel jewels from TJV.

I made one for my small Egg too.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Spring "Cheep Ideas" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    when my eggs were on the deck i had a simple planter box hanging on the back side of the raile that i could stand the grills vertically in. worked out pretty good. never had a platesetter, pizza stone would stand in the planter box as well. maybe a box to stand them vertically on the side of the tabe or even a simple hook to hang them from would work for you.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Great post. New egger with the same issue. I was thinking about how to eventually set up a workstation. Thanks for the pics, some great ideas.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That is ingenious Leroy. Where you an engineer in a past life?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I came this close (stretch arms as far right and left and add some) to being one but I decided to drop out of college and get into High-Tech Career-Enhancing Advanced Communications instead. I joined the Army to learn Morse Code.

Boy was I ever disappointed when I returned to my hometown (population 510) and there were no Morse code operator positions available.

Spring "Life Is Full Of Bad Choices And Some Good Ones Too" Chicken