Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I get the medium or the large?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone,[p]My screen name says it all. I've been hooked. You all talk so highly of the BGE that I must experience the cooking sensation for myself. My quandary is this, I often cook for my large extended family (9 people) and I am unsure if the Medium egg (the one I can most afford) will be adequate. How much food can I realistically fit on the grill surface of both the medium and the large? I cook mainly Chicken breasts, fish filets, brats, burgers (After looking at the recipes that are posted I know that will change).[p]Also, are there any accessories that go along with the BGE that are a must have?[p]Thank you & happy 4th![p]BGE Wannabie

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    Go for the large. if you will be cooking for large groups, you will need the extra room. As far as accessories go, the options are endless. Some of them are:
    ash tool-to clean your ashes out
    grid gripper-to lift the grate out to add charcoal, chip, chunks, etc.
    some type of starting device (MAPP torch, starter cubes, electric starter etc.)
    plate setter, pizza stone, and pizza peel to do pizza
    extra grate-to use when you need a drip pan under your food
    Fire bricks-to raise grate higher from fire
    Polder thermometer or similar brand
    v-rack (I have one, but rarely use it, use the extra grate instead)
    Chicken and turkey vertical roasters (I don't use these much either)
    Fish/Veggie grid/Wok[p]Hope this helps, and welcome to the board.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    If you have been a regular reader on this Forum you should know that most of us will say "get the large" if you really need the large. From the size of your family I would say you need the large. To justify the extra expense just think of it as a lifetime investment that will pay many dividends.[p]Hope to hear real soon that you are no longer a Wannabie.[p]Go for it. Life is short.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BGE Wannabie, I guess we need to add this to a FAQ section. Given the choice, I'd choose the large. However, my first was a medium and I did a lot of cooking of a lot of food on it. I don't think you will actually go wrong with either. For a large extended family of 9 you might find that eventually you'll want both a large and a medium. You'll be able to cook a large turkey breast or a a good size whole turkey (12-15 LBs) on a medium. This can cerftainly feed a group of 9. I have cooked 15 LBs of Boston butt on my medum as well as three chickens. So, you can get it on there - it's just that more fits more easily on the large. [p]My take is that if you feel that you can afford the medium, buy it. After a few months of cooking you'll feel that you can afford a large as well.[p]As for accessories, you need a dome thermometer, an internal thermometer (Polder), a grill grabber and something to serve as a indirect heat block (firebricks, plate setter or even a few cheap pans). After that, the accessories become apparent with your style of cooking.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    I asked the same question a little over a year ago, I ended up getting the large and I cook only for myself unless company comes. The price between the medium and the large at that time was about $75 to $100, I am very happy that I followed the forum advise to get the large.
    Welcome and good luck with which ever size you get.
    New Bob

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    The large is the way to go. You will never regret it.
    B D

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    I say three times:
    Get the large.
    Get the large.
    Get the large.[p]Well, if you can afford it, that is. You will find that you want the large if you buy the medium. I'm just trying to save you the pain and agony of wanting a large. (psssst.... get the large....)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    With that kind of crowd, you may need both a medium and a large! But without a doubt, go for the large. I was debating between the two myself. When I looked at the price difference I said...in this far, might as well spend the extra now and not kick myself wishing I had gotten the large. And yes, your cooking habits will change and your guests tastebuds will thank you for it!
    I always suggest an additonal freezer to take advantage of specials on meat!

• Unknown
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Thanks for the push. I just needed someone else to me the large was the way to go. Hopefully I won't be a "wannabie" to much longer.[p]BGE Wannabie
  • Unknown
    Options
    To everyone who replied,[p]Thanks so much for the push to the large. If the stores weren't closed right now I'd be on my way to buy the large. Also thanks for the suggestions on the accessories. My status as a "wannabie" should soon come to an end.[p]Happy 4th everyone,[p]BGE Wannabie (not for long!)

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    BGE Wannabie,
    Well, the others have really already said it all. But I will add this comment to the list. I was in my egg dealer's store yesterday to pick up a new plate setter and while there we were discussing all of the benefits of cooking on a BGE and my desire to add a small to our large and mini. He mentioned that another customer who had purchased a medium less than a year ago was now wishing that he had bought the large instead. I think if you go with a medium, the time will come when you wish you had a large. And with the number of people you are cooking for, that time may come sooner than you think. If, on the other hand, you choose a large, you will never regret it, and you will eventually come to the conclusion that you also need a medium or a small to go along with your large! Good luck and happy "egging".