Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood plank on the egg

Smoking BulldawgSmoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited 4:59PM in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried a wood plank on their egg? :huh:

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Sure. Just follow the instructions on soaking and heating, etc. I think fish turns out quite nicely when planked. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • lots of folks use wood planks on the eggs and they work great. ..simply set up your egg for a direct cook. ..heat up the egg to about 425 degrees dome temp with grid in normal position. .. . soak you plank for about 2 hours in water (easiest way to do this is to fill your sink with water, put the plank in your sink and hold it under water with a heavy pan). .. when you are ready to cook your food (say a salmon filet or pork loin, take the plank and put it in the egg. ...when it starts to 'crackle" (takes about 5 minutes or so), put the food on to cook. . ..works great. . .. cedar planks and alder planks are particularly good. . .here are a couple of pics of cedar cooked salmon. .. . i know a couple of guys lately here have cooking mashed taters on cedar planks with real good success. .. .

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Many times...and many people here do.

Works great.
  • CecilCecil Posts: 771
    Did some yummy potatoes on cedar tonight.

Walt
  • Looks great! How do you post the pics? :huh:
  • HolySmokesHolySmokes Posts: 446
    don't know, but

I've always thought Cedar kindof makes things taste like a closet or 'cedar' chest :(

Alder is both traditional and a real treat :)

Also really good if you have them, are fruit planks, like apple, pear, or cherry.

I'd love to get Greg to make some Guava planks... just imagine!

HS
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    It's pretty easy once you do it a few times. Check out this link. http://www.rickstropicaldelight.com/Photobucketphotos.htm

Lily2.jpg
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    oh yea i have used a plank::

EGGER022508015.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Lookin good. Hit enter between the pic links and they will lign properly.

4-5-08004.jpg

DSC_0014_edited.jpg

SteakChops024.jpg
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    Did a batch of poyams this evening!

POYAMSRICHARDFL.jpg