Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Orange Marmalade Ribs

Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
edited 10:19AM in EggHead Forum
I've never been a rib cook. I love them, but for some reason have never taken the time to study and perfect the art of cooking them. I decided it was time I learned, so I called the expert. Carwash didn't answer, so I went to the Yoda of the Egg.... Chubby gave me lots of good advice and suggested the 3-1-1 method with some added extras. Anyway, after the phone conversation ended (about an hour later) I was ready to go.

I gave them a good rub with yellow mustard and a blend of Red-Eye Express and Coarse Dizzy Dust and let them sit for about 6 hours (forgot to do them the night before). After the 3 hours indirect at 230, I placed them meat side down in a doublefoiled pouch filled with orange marmalade, butter and apple cider. I was lucky there was any left in the pan because I was sampling this mixture all the way to the Egg. It would be killer on ice cream.

After 1 hour of this I removed from foil and back on indirect, and drizzled the remaining mixture on the ribs. Continued cooking at 230 for about 45 minutes and then sauced with a Fredericksburg Farms South Texas Mesquite BBQ Sauce. I really like their products. http://fbgfarms.com/

They're not traditional ribs, but they were absolutely great!

ribs030.jpg

ribs011.jpg

ribs015.jpg

ribs019.jpg
·

Comments

• Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Hmm...interesting recipe/combination there. The citrus-flavored ribs might have to make it on the list for next weekend.

Thanks!
    ·
  • They sound great. Was there a tangy /spicy sweetness taste resulting from marmelade and the mesqite sauce?
    ·
  • Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 6,618
    Mike,
    They might not be traditional but they sure do look GOOD.
    My Best,
    Ross
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    Very Nice Bones there!!

I'm right behind you today with the same basic take... (sans a few ingreadients)!!

You have set the bar high..." O Master of the Big Tool"... that you are!!
    I will endevor to not dissapoint you!!

BTW...Your picture skills are looking up there as well! The outdoor shots , especially!!

I know calling the Chubbster can be painful...but in your case... it appears to be fruitfull!!

Evans
    ·
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    Yep. The bits of orange peel were a nice addition,. And the addition of spicy sauce was kind of like chili powder on pineapple. Something that sounds odd, but really isn't.

Mike
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Those orange ribs look just.....de...li....cious!!! my friend. 10 out of 10 & a golden star to you, probably my next cook.
    ·
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 108
    Wow those look great. The butter/orange marmalade/apple cider mixture - what was the portions. Equal parts?
    Grasshopper
    ·