Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need Info on new BGE Gasket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After spending almost as much on gaskets as I did for my large egg over my 8 years as an egger i am interested in the new gasket frm BGE that i hear you guys talking about. What makes it so much better than the old? How are they holding up under high heat cooks? What is it made of? Cost?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    it is made of nomex (the same thing dupont makes firesuits for race car drivers) i am not sure on the cost you would have to call BGE in atlanta to find out the exacts on it (i don't thinnk it is over $25)...

they work great on the high temp cooks just make sure that when yo install it not to streach it.. if you do theadhesive might not hold up a well.. but if you go to any hardware store you can find super 77 adhesive that will hold.. HTH

here is what it looks like

crackedeggfirday009.jpg

i had to replace the base fire ring and fire bowl (another story) ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The new gasket is made of Nomex and is available from the mothership. I believe it costs in the neighborhood of $20 plus shipping.

I have been using a fiberglass stove gasket for about a year and it works as good as it did the day I applied it.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    See my post below under the topic "Cooked the Gasket"
  • Thanks guys, i will order one. It's not the cost so much as the problem of replacing the gasket.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    You may order the nomex, but for half the price you can do what I did yesterday; baught(2) 5/8 flat black 7ft Rutland tape gaskets for small and large from Ace Hardware. I dont need 14ft for both, but had to buy the precut packs since they were out of the 5/8 on bulk rolls and couldnt get the lesser amount I need.
    I can appreciate that BGE is coming up with solutions to gaskets, but I'll just go with what is actually working.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    it is really easy to change the gasket just get 4 wire ties and use them to keep the bands shut.. if you can see in this picture::

crackedeggfirday008.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I called BGE customer service for a customer who melted her gasket off with a flashback doing Trex steaks on her 2nd cook with her new egg. They told me that they are testing 2 new gaskets, the white nomex which they sent her and I put on, and a second one which they wouldn't elaborate on. They are selling the white one out of the mother ship in Atlanta now. It looks like new eggs will have one of the 2 sometime in the future when they determine which is best for sure. Both do handle more than the current felt gasket.
    I have customers that ask for the Rutland gasket because it takes more heat but BGE told me that Rutland does not recommend it because its possible that the graphite fibers can come loose and get in your chow.

It's nice to see that BGE is continuously working to improve their already great product.

Most of you folks already know this but BGE does recommend that the first several cooks on a new egg be low or medium to allow the gasket to seat itself well before you go nuclear and always open the egg slowly when the dome temp is above 400.

Happy Egging!
    Jerry
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you know, i think the thng they haven't actually solved is the adhesive. i don't think any nomex gasket "failures" are toasted nomex, but rather they are failed adhesive problems. maybe they can't advocate the high-temp automotive silicone adhesive for some reason (like, it hasn't been tested/approved around food maybe), but that stuff sure sticks.

if someone wanted a better solution than the nomex together with super-77 spray adhesive, i think next step would be the nomex plus silicone (copper-colored 600 degree) adhesive.

that way if someone is freaked by the rutland, they'd still have another option.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    I just cant get into the nomex plus silicone (copper-colored 600 degree) adhesive. Scientists who developed it simply tell us it can work, and dont know if i believe them :P