Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

overnight cooking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all..

Been eggin along and decided to try my first overnighter. I kept losing temp after about 4-5 hours. Cold grill in the AM. Maybe not enough fuel? I'm using egg brand lump charcoal.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    For an overnighter, I fill the lump at least halfway up the fire ring. -RP
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    overnighter012.jpg

This is the temp of my medium at about 10:15 am MST. The egg was lit last night at 7:30pm.

When I first started egging (only about 5 months ago) I was having the same issue that you are having. With a lot of help from some very kind people here on the forum, I was able to get past this problem. The cure is actually very simple. Load your lump properly with bigger pieces on the bottom and gradually add in smaller pieces. This is only a bit more time consuming than just dumping in the lump, but more than makes up for it when you don't have spend the time that it takes to refill the egg. Also, as with AZRP, I fill the atleast 1/2 way up the fire ring and usually all the way to the top.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Cory,

When you are building your fire, how many and were are you lighting the lump?

GG
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Best advice on an overnighter is to do some ash cleaning to make sure you have enough open holes in your grate, and then fill almost to the top of the fire ring so you won't run out. Some lump burns faster than others.

By the way, your handle, P'ville Griller, are you from Pineville, Louisiana?

Spring "Time For Lunch" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    GG,
    I have taken to dumping the coal from my chimney starter in four of five places. It seems to be working like a champ. As of now this load has been running strong for about 16hrs with no signs of letting up.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    I usually light in 4 different places with my MAPP. one spot under each of the platesetter legs and one in the middle.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BammaEgg,

Thanks for letting me know.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Cory,

Thanks for letting me know. I have only used a chimney starter once. However, when I use more than one egg at a time I almost always take some of the lit lump from one lit egg to start the others (sort of like a chimney starter).

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks all. Now I know I need to use alot more coal. A couple of pork butts are in store for next weekend. By the way its Pleasantville NY

Thanks again