Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Chuck, Anyone ever do one?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If so, how did it turn out? Was it like pulled beef? I plan on marinating for 24 hours and then covering with some steak rub.[p]Omaha Mark

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Omaha Mark, I haven't done one but have been thinking about doing one for my mom. She makes a mean BBQ from shredded chuck roast and I thinking egging it would make it taste even better. Let me know how yours turn out.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Omaha Mark,[p]GFW's got a recipe for pulled beef. I've tried it twice, but I keep forgetting that it's an overnight cook. Both times I got a chuck roast that did a good imitation of a prime rib - no kidding. [p]Look under GFW's recipe list for pulled beef.[p]Let us know how things turn out for you.[p]CB
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Omaha Mark,[p]The boneless chuck roast needs low and slow cooking. I've dooked a couple of them and honestly dont remember the times and temps of the cooks, I just know that it took a long time to break it down. The best one that I did I cooked in a cast iron skillet, indirect, with some beef broth added and some veggies as well (carrots, parsnips, onions). Cooked it for about 2 hours? at 325, covered it up for the last hour or after the veggies and meat took on some smoke flavor. It makes a stew kind of meal but it sure was good. Don't quote me on the times, just check the meat and take it off when the meat has broken down.[p]Troy
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Wise One,[p]... and I remember having some of your Mom's BBQ many moons ago. It was outstanding![p]Now for the Chuck Roast. Slap a chuck roast in a dutch oven (lid off), put it on one of your cooking vessels at a stable dome temp of 225°F and let that sucker cook for 8 to 10 hours. I would highly suggest that you get the BBQ sauce that your Mom makes and let the chuck roast cook in it.[p]Of course I'd like some of the finished product. :)[p]Say hi to all and happy 4th,[p]Puj
  • Omaha Mark,[p]I have done three 18# - 23# in my large. The general advice is low and slow till done. I am not the best cook on this site by a long shot and I don't have the desire for a 24+ hour cook, so my method isn't by the book.[p]I marinade the meat in soy sauce (or other marinade) overnight, probably 10 hours. Then I put a rub (I use several) on and put meat on the grill. I try to keep my grill at about 225, but above 200 and below 250. I use an inverted plate setter with a drip pan under the grate. I put meat on as early as I can get up, usually by 6:00 and cook till mid-late afternoon. At this time the meat is ready for slicing (internal temp about 160) for roast beef sandwiches unless you are going to make pull beef. To pull, I bring meat into the house, wrap in foil (sometimes I add a little soy sauce), and put in a 350 oven until the temp is about 200 (2 – 3 hours more). I then cut the meat across the grain into reasonable size chunks (3 – 4 inches) and pull. Don’t forget the best part and that is to eat until you hurt![p]I use hickory or oak to smoke beef.[p]This method has never failed to please my stomach and many guests, but isn’t as elegant as many of the better chefs on this site. I do think that if you smoke for 24 hours you get better flavor, but it isn’t worth the extra hassle for me. Each to themselves.[p]If you do a smaller piece of meat I would follow the same directions but probably not heat in the oven as long, but still finish at the same temp. This will maximize the flavor and minimize the work.[p]Hope this helps. My wife likes this better than the pulled pork, but her taste isn’t all that great she also likes me![p]Happy Fourth![p]Buckeye Bill

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Puj, will do. Saw my sis this weekend and she says she is really coming to EGGtoberfest

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    char buddy,
    forgot the link

[ul][li]gfw's pulled beef[/ul]
  • Buckeye Bill,[p]Thanks to all for the advice. I was gonna try almost exactly what you described. My chuck has been marinating since 1:00. We are going to the lake tomorrow so I don't have the time to cook real slow. I am going to try 250 and see what happens. I kind of thought the same about cooking times as you described. If you want to carve it up, it takes less time. If you want pulled beef it takes longer. I will just have to see what happens. By the way, my chuck is 9 1/2lbs. I will let you know how it comes out.[p]Once again, thanks to all.