Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Firefox browser

Hillbilly Willy
Hillbilly Willy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am suddenly having a problem logging onto the Greenegg forum while using Firefox. Works fine with IE. Used to work fine with Firefox. Java is enabled and all settings and options checked. Can't log in to other sites requiring login either while using Firefox. Again, all work with IE. Anyone have an idea what my problem may be? Be nice, I am very sensitive :laugh:

I tried to email the webmaster twice but the listed email address bounces. (webmaster@biggreenegg.com)

Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Unfortunately, this forum has occasional quirks. Just this morning, try as I may I couldn't log in. After I switched from AOL to IE everything worked fine.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    first thing to remember when you have issues like this is to clear your cached files. to do that in firefox navigate to the menu bar at the top of the firefox window; proceed to "tools"; proceed to "clear private data". make certain that the following options have checks in front: "browsing history", "cache", and "cookies". now click on "clear private data now".

close firefox then restart.

this should help with your difficulties. if not, check back.

oh btw, you may notice after you clear your private data, you will have to reset some of your preferences on this forum and others as well.
  • I had cleared everything before and I just repeated the proceedure. Still no luck. I get to this page (http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=login) and when I navigate back to the forum I am not logged in. IIRC I used to see that page and then was redirected to the forum page. I can't log in to other forums using Firefox so I believe it is a problem with Firefox and not forum related. The problem started when I opened a Photobucket account and tried to post a picture. I didn't think the picture was bad enough to lock me out of the forum :whistle: Oh well.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    i agree that it may be something with firefox. however i would first try the following which i do as a part of my normal windows tuneup procedure:

i assume that you have windows on your pc. if so, i would give this a try. this will "superscrub" your drive.

close all running applications, including firefox.

Choose Start, Run, type(preferably copy and paste) everything within the quotation marks, but do not include the quotation marks "cleanmgr /sageset:1", and press Enter. In the Disk Cleanup Settings dialog box, check all the items except the last two. When you're done, click OK to store the settings in the Windows Registry. To make Disk Cleanup run , choose Start, Run and type "cleanmgr /sagerun:1" type(preferably copy and paste) everything within the quotation marks, but do not include the quotation marks "cleanmgr /sageset:1", and press Enter.

this process will take a few minutes. it thoroughly cleans your drive of all cached files and more.

if you find this not working, i might consider creating a new user profile in firefox. sometimes things get corrupted beyond easy repair.

if you need further help, check back.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Hillbilly Willy,

I'm posting this reply via FireFox; so, it is definitely possible to login to the forum with FireFox. It sounds like citychicken has already sited most of the usual suspects with these kinds of issues. I'm not sure why photobucket would have any effect on these things; though, I suppose it's possible that it could have run some kind of script that modified your browser settings.

It sounds to me like login cookies are not being saved. You might try installing the "Web Develoer" "add-on" for FireFox which is what folks like me use to track down issues like this. For example, it will allow you to examine all of the cookies FireFox has saved. You can find it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=Web+Developer&cat=1%2C4.
    You should see an "Add to FireFox" button for the "Web Developer" Add-on at the top of that page. Clicking on the button is all that is needed to install the Add-on. Once installed, you can view cookies via the "Cookies" tool-bar item, or, from "Tools -> Web Developer"; and, like all FireFox add-ons, you can disable it at any time (e.g. after you get this problem solved). Let me know if you chose to install it and I'll help if I can to track down you issue.