Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brined and spatchcocked

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok !!! I tried spatchcock chicken twice now. The first time a week ago the skin on the bird was tough (325 degrees - one hour on lower grate) and the meat was a bit dry (nice smoky flavour). The second time I brined the bird and then cooked it (same time and tempature as the first one but used an elevated grill) and the result was disappointing - probably over-cooked (probably should have cut back the cooking time due to the brining). In any event I shall carry on and continue to seek out the perfect spatchcock chicken. Must be something that I am doing wrong or the birds are just plain tough (can't buy that one). On a positive note my ribs have been dynamite. Take care and have a nice holiday. Bully

Comments

• Charlie44mag
    Options
    bully,[p]Since I have tried to eat less fat, I skin chickens and turkeys and rub them down with olive oil and then put the dry steak seasoning on them. I cook at 350 and a whole lot less time than most people, but usually there are no leftovers.[p]Regards,[p]Charlie

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    bully,[p]Try TNW's method exactly to the letter. 350* on an elevated grid. Rub both sides of the chicken with olive oil before you apply the seasoning. [p]I've cooked many, many spatchcocked chickens. The few times that I made changes,(temp, cooking level) it didn't turn out as well.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    bully,
    I agree with DavidR. Rub with olive oil on both sides and use your favorite seasonings. Elevated grid at 350 for 1 hour. We don't even flip ours. We have done several and the only messed up one was when we didn't use an elevated grid, it was still good, but a little dark skinned in some areas.

• Unknown
    Options
    Charlie44mag,thanks for the update. How much time do you give them at 350? Bully

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy bully,
    Are you measuring the meat temps? A meat thermometer would do you wonders. Stick the probe in the thickest part of the breast, and cook to 165. Rest for 15-20 minutes, and chow. Going by time just doesn't work with Qing...too many variables.[p]You got the ribs down, chicken should be cake! You have a great holiday yourself.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    bully,
    I've done 21 spatchcock chickens and only 1 didn't turn out perfect. I had part of the chicken over the firebrick and that part of the chicken was underdone. I use 3.5-4.5 pound birds using the instructions on my web page. You should be able to produce wonderfully juicy chickens without brining, so I wouldn't mess around with brining for now. Once you get the chicken the way you want, you might want to brine to get flavor into the meat, but I never brine and don't seem to be losing out on anything. :-)
    Here's the link:

[ul][li]Spatchcock chicken[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz