Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT tomato growing question

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I let my tomato get totly red before I pick them or when they just start to turn? does it make a difference in taste?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ripen on the vine is best so don't pick until it's ready.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    How soon do you want to eat them after picking?

One year the frost came early. We pulled the plants up by the root and hung them upsidedown in the garage and in the basement. There were many hard green tomatoes which did ripen.

We are just planting out there and you are wondering about picken. Wow!!!

GG
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Thanks,
    Thats the plan.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I have melons getting ready, peppers done, and several cucumbers already.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh, Now that is just downright mean!!!! :)

Unless we buy greenhouse started stuff, we are just now beginning to planting. Gournd is still a little wet for tilling.

Kent
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You can also pick them green and put them in a paper sack and they will ripen, unfortunately they taste like grocery store tomatoes. -RP
  • HungryMan
    Options
    You need to use earth boxes. No messing with anything.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I have to second the earth box idea. We have 10 or so and now have tomatos and peppers ready. Eggplant, and giant pumpkins starting to look good. And no weeds to pick. Luv those things. Brett
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    10 earth boxes - That is one heck of a lot of money for containers!!!

GG
  • CaptainChili
    Options
    IF, you can keep the birds and turtles away from your ripening tomatoes I like to let them ripen on the vine. Having said that, if you pick the tomato at the first sign of red and place it indoors, it will continue to ripen fully with no loss in quality. There is nothing more maddening that to watch a beautiful tomato ripen on the vine and when you pick it, a bird has pecked in the other side. Picking at first sign of ripening will outwit the birds most of the time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I picked up an earthbox and a container. I am going to see how both work out.

I picked up some plants & herbs and I think I will put a couple of those int he earthbox too.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the color change still occurs when you pluck the tomato, but flavor doesn't develop as fully as when left on the vine.

store bought tomatoes are picked shy of being 'ripe' because they are firmer and ship better, and they ripen by the time they hit market, but they only LOOK as good compared to vine ripened. their taste falls short of fully vine-ripened though.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I have three and all is good so far.
  • CaptainChili
    Options
    I am not speaking of "shipping" times. Those tomatoes are picked a long time in advance. In my opinion there is virtually no loss in quality, and I have grown and eaten literally thousands of tomatoes from my own garden. Guess we have to agree to disagree.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    let it ripen on the vine....I say anyways.
    Did you watch the race today? Preakness...not Nascar
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    No wild turtles in these parts, but I protect my tomato plants from birds, deer and racoons using inexpensive bird netting. It's black, 3/4 inch plastic screening that you can barely see, doesn't shade or get hot and works well. Because it is so inexpensive I just throw it away at the end of the season.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    No, but was out to dinner. I just got home and need to see if I won anything.