Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

CaptainChili
CaptainChili Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pork Butt experience: A couple of weeks ago I set up a 6 pound or so butt on my medium. I am pretty new at this having about six cooks under my belt. I was cooking indirect with a platesetter and used a remote thermometer. I was able to maintain a good 225 to 250 degrees, my meat starting temp was about 49 degrees. At four and a half hours my internal temp read 196. I was expecting it to take a lot longer to reach this temp but decided to take it off. The pork was definitely cooked but was not tender enough to be pulled. I could have cooked a lot longer but reaching that internal temp caused me to stop the cook. Help

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Curious, did you try moving the probe and see if you got a different read?

CaptainChili wrote:
    Pork Butt experience: A couple of weeks ago I set up a 6 pound or so butt on my medium. I am pretty new at this having about six cooks under my belt. I was cooking indirect with a platesetter and used a remote thermometer. I was able to maintain a good 225 to 250 degrees, my meat starting temp was about 49 degrees. At four and a half hours my internal temp read 196. I was expecting it to take a lot longer to reach this temp but decided to take it off. The pork was definitely cooked but was not tender enough to be pulled. I could have cooked a lot longer but reaching that internal temp caused me to stop the cook. Help
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Captain Chili next time take your pit temp down to 200 degrees. at least. The longer and slower you cook pork butt the better. Good luck next time, happy egging.
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    Have you calibrated your thermometers to make sure they are reading accurate? Sure sounds like the fire was too hot and your butt cooked way too fast.
  • No, I didn't move the probe, tried not to peek and keep the temp constant. I will have to check the thermometer
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    That, or he inadvertantly bumped the thermometer up against the bone. That would definitely cause it to rise fast.