Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

broken clay egg!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my clay egg has broken in half!! .. It is 19 years old and has had a good life, but I am not ready to replace. It is a clean break, 360 degrees around the bottom half.. I called the BGE store and they recommend getting tempered cement to repair. Home Depot and Lowes do not carry this, anyone else have this problem and fix it with success? where can i find this stuff?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I think some people have used "Rutland" furnace cement. A have also hear of poeple using "JB Weld".

Good luck with the repair, and please keep us posted on your results.

Smokey
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Ace hardware has JB Weld. I have never done a large piece, but works great on plate setter legs and smaller pieces.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I used Rutland furnace cement on my ancient egg when it split and Rutland Refractory cement to rebuild my firebox. That was about 5 years ago and it's still holding.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    There are several sites with information on restoring the clay kamodo cookers. I'm sure others will jump in as there are a lot of clay kamados out there. A guy I went to high school with still cooks on one...

I know a guy that has done several restorations. This is his latest "project". The insides were severely damaged.

swamprbrestoration1.jpg

I will e-mail you a link to this rebuild.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I can't email your link does not work....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    There's a post on the Kamado Forum from one that complete rebuilt his clay kamado.
    It's in the 2005 Kampfire Archive: Tell Me What I Have.
    Posted by Tomjax on July 30, 2005.

Maybe it's not kosher posting a competitors post here but if it helps one of ours what the hell.
    I hope it helps.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    hey thirdeye would you mind sending me that link. please.
    markkal123@yahoo.com

i have an old large egg (the clay variety) that i may try to restore.

thanks
    mark
  • Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Options
    It's been quite awhile since I've been on the forum, but have things changed? I thought the egg was guaranteed for life. I know several years ago they replaced the fire ring for me - no problem.

Harry