Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Preparing to smoke 8# pork shoulder on Big Egg. Using inverted plate setter with water pan sitting in the pl. setter. Should I then place the v-rack holding the meat in the water pan or should I put the grid in place and put v-rack on top of it? which is best? Thanks.[p]Ray

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Babyray, I always place the grill down, put a pan on the grill then put the V-rack in the pan (or at least over it). I don't use any water in the pan, just want to keep the fat from dripping on the coals.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Babyray,
    We don't use the v-rack. We put drip pan on lower rack, then put another rack on top of drip pan with our meat on that.

• Unknown
    Options
    Babyray,
    i cook fresh pork shoulder fo r 3 hours in tinfoil then place pan under foil aND PUNCH HOLE IN FOIL AND LET OUT GREASE AND WATER. THE I COOK FOR 1 HOU ON OPEN FIRE BASTING WITH SAUCE OFTEN OFTEN OFTEN FINISHES OFF MOIST VERY LITTLE GREASE OR FAT AND WORKD GREAT

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,[p]This is just a test.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Here is a link to a copy of Jim Goode's rub that first appeared on the 'net back in August of '95. The recipe in that post was copied from an article that appeared in the Austin Amercican Statesman. Here is an address listing the earliest internet source containing Jim Goode's recipe: [p]http://recipe-beef.com/26/145148.shtml[p]Here is that recipe as it appears in that link:[p] 2 1/2 tb dark-brown sugar
    2 tb paprika
    2 ts dry mustard
    2 ts onion powder
    2 ts garlic powder
    1 1/2 ts dried sweet basil
    1 ts ground bay leaves
    3/4 ts ground coriander
    3/4 ts ground savory
    3/4 ts dried thyme
    3 3/8 ts freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 ts white pepper
    1/8 ts ground cumin
    1 salt, to taste[p]Here are some other internet addresses that list Jim Goode's recipe:[p]www.smokering.net/Recipes/GoodesRub.asp
    www.bbqguide.com/recipes/jimsbbq.htm
    www.barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/JimGoodesBBQBeefRub.asp[p]If you check out the third link, click on the review option on the page. The last review was posted in 2000 and the person who posted that review stated they had been using the recipe for six years.[p]The reason these links are posted is because of a typo in the above recipe. The typo that appears is the recipe posted in August of '95 calls for 3 3/8ths teaspoons of freshly ground pepper. The reason I think it is a typo is because 3 teaspoons equal one tablespoon and the person who transcribed this recipe should have known that. The three other links listed call for 3/4ths teaspoon ground black pepper. Jim Goode's recipe as it appears in those three links is listed below.[p]Here is an address to JJ's recipe:[p]www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/sauces/JJrub01.htm[p]Now I have cut and pasted these recipes and posted them side by side for easy comparison.[p]Here is Jim's recipe: Here is JJ's:[p]2 1/2 tb dark-brown sugar 5 tb dark brown sugar
    2 tb paprika 4 tb paprika
    2 ts dry mustard 4 ts dry mustard
    2 ts onion powder 4 ts onion powder
    2 ts garlic powder 4 ts garlic powder
    1 1/2 ts dried sweet basil 3 ts dried sweet basil
    1 ts ground bay leaves 2 ts ground bay leaves
    3/4 ts ground coriander 1 1/2 ts ground coriander
    3/4 ts ground savory 1 1/2 ts ground savory
    3/4 ts dried thyme 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    3/4 ts ground black pepper 1 1/2 ts ground black pepper
    3/4 ts white pepper 1 1/2 ts white pepper
    1/8 ts ground cumin 1/4 ts ground cumin
    salt, to taste salt, to taste
    1 tb rosemary[p]
    All JJ did was double the ingredients to Jim Goode's recipe and added one tablespoon of rosemary to ten tablespoons of the other ingredients not including the salt to taste. Most rub recipes call for an equal amount of salt as sugar so using this ratio, you would be adding on tablespoon of rosemary to 15 tablespoons of the other ingredients. [p]Considering the added five tablespoons of salt, the added rosemary compromises less than 7% of the total ingredients. Because it is such a mild spice, I doubt that most people could not tell the difference between Jim Goode's original recipe and JJ's recipe that JJ claims was the result of years of experimentation.[p]