Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crawdad pizza

BamaBackdraft
BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got in late tonight so fired up the BGE and pulled out the trusty Mama Mary's pizza crust from the fridge. Poured some alfredo sauce from the jar, Left over peeled crawdads out of the freezer, varigated basil out of the garden and topped with shredded parmesean cheese.

Pizza001.jpg

On the egg at 525 elevated.

Pizza002.jpg

Made a pepperoni pizza while 1st is cooking.

Pizza003.jpg

Finished products after 20 min each.

Pizza004.jpg

Pizza005.jpg

Quick and simple just like me! :laugh:

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Looks good. Was 20 mins too much, for the already cooked crawdads?
  • BamaBackdraft
    They were fine. Had a heavy amount of sauce under them, may have protected
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    We love egg pizza but are tired of Kroger crust- my homemade never works well. We have resorted to Whole Foods premade(half cooked). It is god but where to get a good ready made crust?

Walt
  • BamaBackdraft
    Next time I'm at Sam's going to buy a case of frozen dough from the deli. They have a pretty good pizza crust and I don't have time or the desire to make my own. I think the lady told me they are @ $20 for 20 dough balls.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Thanks, I'll check there.

Walt
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Dang that looks good Bama...cant get good fresh crawfish here...wanting to make some crawfish etouffee but no access to fresh crawfish... :(
  • eggheel
    eggheel Posts: 7
    I've generally used the "calzone/pizza dough" recipe on the submitted recipe part of the site. I add a bit of sugar and toss/roll it really thin. I've found it to be a great crust. It only takes about 15 minutes of work and an hour of waiting and makes enough for two thin crust pies. If you're looking for thick crusts, I've got nothing.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    MMM Bugs!! Season coming to a close but hitting up a all you can shuck joint Sat. outside Monroe while they last!!! :woohoo: Good looking pizza! There's a Pizza chain in LA. and S. Ark that puts bugs on there pizza on request and in there "sweep the swamp" pizza. Called Johney's Pizza.
  • Soonerfan
    Soonerfan Posts: 71
    I was thinking of doing that too. They also have the pizza crusts already made if I remember right. Let me know how you like them.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Good pizza dough is pretty easy to make. Just don't be intimidated. I've gone thru a few recipes over the past month or so, and settled in on this one, since I can make it the day before I use it.

3 cups Flour (I use high gluten flour)
    1/3-1/2 packet of yeast (If you use less yeast, you can let it rise in the fridge longer, up to 2 or 3 days)

Mix together manually, with mixer, or food processor with dough blade & dough setting.

Add 1.5 cups of cold water. Incorporate into a dough ball.

Let rest for 20 minutes

Add tsp of olive oil & incorporate

Add tsp of salt & incorporate

Flour your hands, as the dough should be sticky.

Split into 2 or 3 dough balls, place in oiled bowls & cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 24 hours (give or take). Pull out of the fridge 1.5 - 2 hours before forming your pizza crust.

It sounds like a lot, but it only takes about 45 minutes to get it to the fridge with a mixer or food processor. I make mine at lunch time on Thursdays, and my wife takes it out of the fridge when she gets home on Friday. When I get home, I fire up the egg, stretch the dough & make pizza's. I love Fridays!

Oh, and those are 2 fantastic looking pizza's. I think I may get some frozen crawdads for tonites pie.

One more thing! If you have a vacuum packer, you can also vacuum pack the dough balls for future use. Instead of putting them in the fridge to rise, vacuum pack immediately and put in the fridge. When you're ready to use, put it in the fridge to rise.