Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stones for the egg

Options
Hillbilly Willy
Hillbilly Willy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who makes and sells a good 16" round pizza stone for the LBGE? I can't locate one of suitable size and thickness that is durable enough to stand up to the direct radiant heat of the coals. What do you guys and gals use? Any help appreciated.

Bill

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Suggest you use the BGE stone for the large that is 14" diameter. It will withstand all the thermal stresses, and, using anything much larger will restrict the air flow. Some have used a larger diameter stone, but, not a good idea........
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i bought some fancy soapstone ones years ago with fancy copper handles, the large one cracked but still works and i cook pizza above 900 degrees with it. next one will be thicker, maybe 3/4 inch cut at a kitchen countertop center. mines 15 inch diameter, i wouldnt go bigger for a large. i do put a barrier between the coals and stone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I've only ever used the Wal Mart special I picked up for about $13-14. Worked like a champ.

Haven't used a BGE stone...
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I purshased a 13" Bakers Secret pizza stone and it comes with a wire carrier. It fits inside my medium and allows me to pick it up by the carrier and bring it to the kitchen to build the pizza on. I preheat it while the egg is heating up. Pizza is so good on the egg!!!
  • Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded to my pizza stone question. As a further note, I have a 16" stone which I have been using indirect on a raised grid in the LBGE. It works well except for the fact that it is glazed and not porous. I have been searching for an unglazed stone to maximize the crispness of the crusts. I will take egret's advice and order the 14" stone from the "mothership" and see what effect the added air circulation has. I am also trying to become a decent artisan bread baker and the smaller stone will work for that endeavor. You folks are very helpful to those of us who are still learning.

Bill
  • fishlessman
    Options
    it takes a bigger fire under the big stone to hold the same temps with the smaller stone. eats more lump that way
    fukahwee maine

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza-stone/pizza-stone.html

This is good quality and has a forum that has alot of pizza information.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks for the link, ill be looking thru it. got deep dish and the high temp pizzas down where i like it, next pizza journey is a thin crust sicilian tray pizza which is not seen many places. theres a place near me that makes a great one, crust is almost a cross over to a pastry type taste yet is still a good pizza dough consistancy. just love pizza
    fukahwee maine

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I've only heard that the pampered chef brand is a no no on the egg. I have a bge brand and works great. You can use soapstone ( I'm a former stone sales rep) and could probably get a cheap piece that a granite fabricator has from a sink cutout from a kitchen countertop installation. They line pizza oven with the stuff and it stays hot for a very long time. You can cut the stuff with a skill saw and diamond bit blade and sand it smooth with regular sand paper at home.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thats what i was thinking, they must have a scrap section that you can pick from
    fukahwee maine

• Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    Don't have a Target store near me but we have a kitchen supply store. I bought a small and inexpensive stone there and used it in the egg for a while. Worked pretty good until I decided to use it as a heat shield on the spider for indirect cooking. I heard the tinkle when the stone lost it's structural integrity. I was afraid to look because I thought it might be the firebox. Relieved that it was only the cheap pizza stone that I had used for something that it wasn't designed for.

I ordered a large and small stone from Atlanta today. I'm going to go stand by the mailbox.

Bill
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    If you look at egg accessories under XL setups you will find a address they list for a 16 and 19 inch stone. I ordered both and use the 19 inch for indirect heat and the 16 for pizzas. You can ask the people at eggaccessories.com and I am sure they can help you
  • Mocamarc
    Mocamarc Posts: 20
    Options
    I found a great round, 16" (about 3/4 inch thick) stone on Amazon.com. I've had the typical stones you usually find crack because I cook at high heat. About $50, but worth it.

And do not cook on metal pans.