Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spider, C.I. cookware, pizza stone?

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friends and family are asking what I want for my upcoming birthday. So obviously my mind goes to my newest hobby. Already have a plate setter to go with my new egg(large). I believe my next eggsessory will be a pizza stone.......but what else are most useful? I do mostly low temp stuff, at least so far but want to do steaks and pizza soon.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ron

Comments

• madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Options
    Dutch oven gets my vote :woohoo:

I've had my egg for 3 weeks and allredy made a chilli,a spagetti sauce and a stew.
  • trex1210
    trex1210 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have the adjustable rig from eggaccessories.com, and it is absolutely awesome......the sliding grates, and extender are on their way as I type this!!!

Another item that I love is my Thermapen......now I don't have to worry about not cooking my wifes steak or chops enough.........push the pin in and get the instant temp......very nice addition to have!!

Trey
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Something I forgot to mention to you this morning that I findvery useful is a "V" rack. It worls well when cooking a turkey breast, or a butt. Also, is can be used as a rib rack (by inverting it)

Smokey
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    A BGE pizza stone is a must...I bake mine on this

http://www.target.com/AirBake-Pizza-Pan-15-75/dp/B000063SKU/sr=1-1/qid=1210872073/ref=sr_1_1/601-9719627-4444901?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:pizza pan&page=1

I have 2 of them to keep the pizzas coming when we have company....

do you have heavy duty gloves for moving the platesetter

MAPP Torch

Remote thermometer

Dizzy Pig rubs

the list is endless.... :cheer:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    dizzy pig rubs, thermapen, remote maverick et73, raised grill or the adjustable grill to go along with what yu mentioned
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Ron,

I really love my new Cast Iron Grate. It works great on searing those steaks. Also, I did some of AZRP's spicy shrimp on it. They were great.

Next, I would think about getting a MAP torch. If you do not have one, this will really help in reducing prep time.

I just got one of those thermapens, which are pretty cool. You can get a refurbed one from the manufacturer at a reduced price.

A pizza stone is great with the platsetter. It is a great way to have quick fun with the egg and it also gives it a good cleaning.

A raised grid is nice to add some grill space or just to move the cook at little further from the fire.

Hmmm..... what else??

Greg
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    pizza stone AND a pizza peel

the v rack is great, and your wife will love it at thanksgiving time when shes got an entire oven to use because the turkey is on the egg

a gift certificate to a butcher shop?

a personalized branding iron for steaks?

a nice set of knives or just a nice chefs knife?

vacuum sealer?

a green egg apron?
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Definitely need heavy duty gloves.

I have a pair of these.

31EgovjX5RL._AA280_.jpg

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I luv me some Dizzy Pig rubs... just got sum at the muthership... uh-huh

Greg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    LOL, yeah my old work gloves are getting charred from the plate setter and grid.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I got heavy duty welders gloves from HD...they were $35 and work great...I also have the silicone ones like above...I just feel like lobster boy when I were them and I don't have as good a grip in them...
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    lol lobster boy!!... :woohoo: ..here's my heavy duty gloves..old welders..they don't even match.. :woohoo: cant cook without them imho... I bet I use them 5 times a day when I'm cooking..
    6bfba17b.jpg
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I would make sure to get a pizza STONE and NOT air bake pan or metal pan. The stone is critical for good crusts. Pizza is so fantastic on an egg you will wish you didn't wait so long to make one. Making them from scratch is also highly recommended and easily done. I would get a pizza stone, mapp torch, and grill extender as my next purchases. Happy eggin!
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    Kim,

Do you use two pizza stones on the egg at one time? I would love to be able to do two pizzas at once. With 4 kids, add a few friends, I need 3 or 4 pizzas in a pretty short time to keep them from revolting.

Thanks
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I got my large and it needed an accessory, so I got a medium. The medium needed something for it, so a small, and yes the small needed something. So I go the mini.

This question comes up a lot. With my large I probably use the adjustable rig & spider the very most.

If I were doing it over again I would not get a plate setter, rather, the adjustable rig, spider and pizza stone.

The thermopen is an important accessory also.

Maverick ET-73

I really like the DigiQ2 & Stoker also.

The rest of the small stuff will come along as a lot of it is just something you have to have.

If you keep reading the board you will end up with everything. :laugh:

GG
  • vidalia1
    Options
    First off I do use a pizza stone...my set up is

platesetter with the feet down

grid on platesetter

pizza stone on grid

air bake pan on pizza stone...using the air bake pan I can...

A. make a bigger pizza 15 3/4"

B. I do not have to fool with corn meal or parchment paper

C. I have 2 pans so I can have another waiting in the wings...

also to the question of have I ever done 2 pizzas at once...yes

I have a 12" pizza screen that I set on the stone then I put the grill extender over that pizza and put either another 12" inch pie above it or the 15 3/4 " air bake above it...