Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me learn how to sear--

Options
raider60
raider60 Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Tuesday night I tried a yellow fin tuna recipe I got from this website. I was supposed to sear the marinated tuna for about four minutes on each side between 600-700 degrees. I followed the instructions, but experienced some problems. First, all of the tuna steaks stuck to the grill. Secondly, the two that didn't fall apart when I tried to remove them were very dry. I'm still a newbie, but the other dishes I have done--steak, pork butt, and ribs--have come out pretty well. This was my first disappointment. What should I do differently next time? Thank you--

Comments

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    4 minutes on each side @ 700*? :blink: Tuna should be cooked rare, with about a 1/8" white ring around the outside and the center just warm. You probably could have gotten away with about 1 minute per side. To help with the sticking, you could wipe some cooking oil on the grates before you put the tuna on. Give it another try! Good Luck.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I'm no expert on searing tuna, (the wife doesn't like it, so we don't cook it) but have you taken a look at the way Alton Brown seared tuna over a chimney starter? You can get 1400 degrees or so over a roaring chimney starter which might aid in the sticking issue. A hotter sear might aid with the dryness too, allowing you to sear faster which will sear the outside and leave the inside almost raw. Also, I think he coated the tuna with sesame seeds and other stuff which might also aid in the sticking issue. You might check out his recipe on foodtv.com and see if that gives you any ideas. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Everything I sear is based on the thickness of the meat. A half inch steak doesn't need more than 30 seconds at 600º. The steak we had last night was close to an inch and a half and at 550º I seared it for 3 minutes each side and let it dwell for another 2 minutes.

(Dwelling for us is when you finish searing you close down the vents as though you were putting out the fire and let the meat sit. It sort of roasts at that point.)

I always oil either the meat I'm putting on or I oil the grill.

You should be able to get a good sear at about 500º and maintain more control over the cook.

Oh yeah, your fire should be well established before you go in for the sear and if you sear/dwell be very careful when you open the dome 'cause if you don't burp the Egg you'll loose the hair on your arms, face and belly.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    more important than the sear is how done the tuna is. it should be red when you cut into it, not cold, just a litttle warm. yours was way over cooked at 2 min per side and then you cooked it again. the sear is overated in my honest opinion. hotter temps, a little oil on the grill, maybe check the temp with a thermapen. about 105 and take it off the grill, i went 115 degrees the only time ive checked it this way, too done. and if you have a hard time eating it because its red, turn the lights off. tuna is different than steak for cooking, never rest a tuna steak or it will overcook on the plate. have the table set with people seating them self, then toss it on the grill, cut and eat immediatly from the grill.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    The way I do these is soak in olive oil for 30-60 minutes, then sear 1-1 1/2 minutes per side (depending on thickness). Take off and immediately sprinkle salt and pepper on. Simple, and I'll bet it will be the best tuna you ever ate! As mentioned above, the key is not over cooking.....They should be pretty rare.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hey carey.

try not oiling the steak. i add oil when i sear the steak in a pan, but not for the grill. olive oil burns too low, and now i just salk and sear, seasoning after (if it's pepper) or during the dwell if i am dizzy-pigging. the seasoning can burn if you sear with seasonings other than salt.

i'm totally in agreement re: the thickness thing, but just suggesting you try no real amount of oil on the steak (or even on the grill). believe it or not, it doesn't help with sticking during a high temp sear. it's long gone (if you oil the grill), and if it's on the steak, the exposed part can burn.

i was once told, and now firmly believe, that if it sticks, it isn't ready to flip.

clean the grate (though i never do :blush: ), and a dry steak (salted), will sear great with no help at all from oil.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    "i was once told, and now firmly believe, that if it sticks, it isn't ready to flip."

AMEN!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I have never seared tuna but my sear on steaks got much better when I got my cast iron grid.

Greg
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    alton's episode on tuna is a good one for anyone who would like to cook a fine piece of tuna on the grill. i use his method on my mini.

by the way, i have that episode tvo'd and saved in avi for viewing on your pc. email if you would like a copy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    watch the edge of the tuna as it sears you will see the gray line form, i am a

a2a3e655.jpg

so raw is fine with me. otherwise watch they gray line and when it is ¼ to ½ inch flip it. sesame seeds help as does an light coat of oil . seasoned cast iron grid is a help. watch the line don't worry too much about temp as you have a good hot fire and the dome will not be closed and you are cooking direct. thinner pieces are more likely to break up as are overcooked pieces.
    0ecbef5b.jpg

61f15364.jpg

f52c19d6.jpg

8ca427ba.jpg
  • raider60
    raider60 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it--
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    bill put that on your foot and spread your toes like that and I will be IMPRESSED!! :blink: