Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sriracha

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
untitled.jpg

For those of us who may be unfamiliar, there is a Hot Sauce on the market that is truly unique & phenomenal. Commonly known as “Rooster Sauce” because of the bottle design, it evidently has kind of a cult following.
It originated in Thailand and is still made there, but the American version is made by Huy Fong foods in California.
Amazingly there are but 4 ingredients: Sun Ripened Chili Peppers, Vinegar, Garlic, & Sugar. The American version also has a small amount of preservative. Many Asian stores carry the authentic Thai version which ironically isn’t called Sriracha due to license agreements involving Huy Fung.
The consistency is different from most Hot Sauces in that it is thicker, paste-like similar to ketchup. It is great on everything with the exception of Mexican food. The sun dried pepper and garlic flavors come through strongest, leaving a finish that begs for more.
It is available at most grocery stores.
The stuff is addicting.

I have yet to try it in home made BBQ sauce, but I don’t think it will be long.

Does anyone have any eggsperience using Sriracha with foods prepared on BGE?

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Ron,

Sounds very interesting... how hot is it??

Greg
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    We use sriracha like ketchup in my house. It goes on hotdogs and burgers. I've also used it as a rub on chicken parts along with other seasonings. Mix it into softened butter for your corn.
    Paul
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=393173&catid=1

ive got a bottle in the fridge, i add it to the crying tiger sauce sometimes and a little to the sweet dipping sauce. bought a thai cook book last year, i like the sriracha as an ingediant, not so much straight up, but its good stuff
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I love that sauce! I've used it in Asian style marinades, and I always put it on carryout Chinese food. And a bowl of pho would not be the same without a few squirts of Sriracha.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Greg, it is medium level hot I guess for lack of better description. However, it is not a super concentrated hot so it doesnt leave a lingering burn. Even better, it has tons of flavor, not just generic hot.

Ron
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Ron,

You know where we can get it locally?

Greg
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks fishlessman, I did a forum search with no resulitng yiled. Maybe I misspelled. Looks like a great recipe to try out..

Ron
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Grocery stores carry it in the asian section. -RP
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Greg, most any grocery store. I got some at Kroger.

Ron
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That's a staple in this house!
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I just had some of that last Sunday, at a restaurant called "Noodles & Co." I liked it.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I love that stuff! I take exception to it not going well on mexican food. I made chicken quesadillas the other day and gave each a nice dash of sriracha and it was delicious. As far as the hot factor goes it's not too bad. Warmer than green tabasco and less than red IMHO.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    How hot it is depends on the color of the squirt cap.
    Green = medium hot, yellow = pretty hot, red = damn that's really hot.

You can find the green topped stuff in any big grocery store. The yellow and the red are usually only found in Asian markets.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    It's also great on burgers, and maybe the best thing ever on cheese steaks.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Great for almost everything including heating up tomato soup and adding a spoon full - yummm!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you get a chance to buy the **** brand saigon sauce it is amazing.
    Sriracha is the bet thing on bacon and eggs.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    It's obviously got a following among Eggers. My wife grew up in Bangkok and went to school with the family that owns the Thai company - we've been using it here for the 35 years we've been married - just about the time it was first imported. My wife often asks me to skip the saucing on ribs so she can pour on the Sriricha - she'll use it, literally, on almost anything.

I've learned something about it in this thread though - We never realized that it came in various intensities - I never looked at the color of the cap but as near as I can tell we only get the red one - its definitely hotter than Tobasco. And we never paid attention to the US producer's name - just assumed it was all imported.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a Nature Boy recipe.

Marinade, Poultry, Soy, Yakitori Style, Nature Boy

A simple marinade for chicken. A nice balance of seet and salty. We liked this better than most of the other more complicated marinades I have posted in the past. Dang. Sometimes simple IS best.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Tbs Soy Sauce (a japanese sauce works best. I used Kikoman)
    2 Tbs Sherry
    2 Tbs Sake
    2 Tbs Sugar
    1 Tbs Honey
    1 tsp your favorite pepper. Or to your tastes.
    1 tsp Sriracha Chili Sauce (optional), or your favorite heat
    1 Shallot
    1 Clove of garlic (optional)

Preparation Directions:
    1 Finely chop the shallot, and crush the garlic if using it.
    2 Sauté the shallot in a bit of peanut oil until transparent, then add the garlic and cook until onion just starts to turn golden.
    3 Reduce to low heat, and add remaining ingredients. Stir until sugar is desolved.
    4 Remove from heat and cool.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 I used this with cubes of chicken thigh meat for kabobs. The chunks were marinated for a few hours, then skewered and grilled at 325-350 direct until well browned (about 20-30 minutes while flipping).
    2 Should work well on all sorts of chicken pieces.
    Special Instructions:
    1 For a finishing sauce, lightly boil the remaining marinade, add a little hoisin and ketchup and cook until it starts to thicken. Brush on during last 10 minutes of cooking.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Author: Nature Boy ccapell@cox.rr.com

Source: BGE Forum, Nature Boy
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    We use more Sriricha than Ketchup in my house... :laugh: