Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planter Boxes

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up an Earth Box and tought I would plant some tomatoes. The instructions said to only plant two bushes in each box. With the cost of the box that is going to make for some expensive tomatoes this year.

For mothers day I got to making a bunch of hanging flower baskets and some standing planter baskets.

I have seen pictures of hanging tomato plants and got to thinking. I am wondering if I could use a hanging basket, a moss basket or even a 5 gal bucket with some holes cut in the side to plant vegies. Something like 2 tomato plants in the lower part of the basket. Above plant some different types of peppers and maybe at the top plant something else.

Anybody doing something like this or something simular.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

GG

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Cut the holes in the bottom edge then add 1 or 2 inches of small stones before adding the soil. I have tomatoes, pineapples and peppers in pots now
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    We have our tomato plants in 5 gal buckets with holes in the bottom. Like Pat said we put pebbles in the bottom and a good mix of soil & potting soil. We put 2 plants in each bucket and a tomato stake to keep them growing straight.

Our ground has nemotoads (sp?) so buckets are the way to go for us...
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Yep - it works great! The only problem with sharing that upside down planter with other plants on top is that tomatoes are hungry little pigs that can sometimes rob the other plants of nutrients. Plant nasturtiums (flowers) on top - they like to be neglected.

The 5 gallon buckets work the best, but are kinda ugly. ;)
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Kent,
    I took these pictures two week ago.
    DSCN2758.jpg
    DSCN2759.jpg
    Don't plant more than two.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I bought nematodes for my garden to kill the grubs. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Here's my orderly garden - after being here 26 years I finally found the only place we get enough sun is on the edge of our driveway. I built this framework to keep the baskets from tipping over after they get top heavy. If the picture appears grainy that's because the whole thing is wrapped in bird netting to keep the deer and coons at bay.
    IMG_2322.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    You got to love home grown tomatoes.
    Ross
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    DSC_0277.jpg

This is the box on the top pic with just the sprouts. Even biger now with melons.
    DSC_0273-1.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    nematodes - worms, right?

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    Yup - and right off the vine too. One of those plants is a cherry tomato and that's what I and my two Westies love. When I'm picking those then between the 3 of us only half of the pickings make it in to the house!
    Tomorrow being May 15th is when most gardeners here in our state recommend is the earliest to plant - not us though these went in the pots on May 1st.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Very interesting link. Thank you.

How often to you spread these criters and does it seem to work for you?

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thank you, do you plant high or low in the bucket and do the vine vines just drape over the top of the bucket.

Kent
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    The Earth boxes work great, I have used them for three years and the price of the box per eggplant grown is getting real cheap. They are great with plants that you have trouble with in the garden. I have not tried Tomatoes in them as mine get huge in the garden but eggplant cucumbers and peppers are fantastic and trouble free in them.

I would not put more than two (undeterminate) tomato plants in them.

I would forget about the upside down tomatoes for anything other than a novelty.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I've got to get some poles. My box has a different caster setup than yours. Casters come directly out of the bottom.

You guys in Cali can grow anything. We really have a pretty short growing season right here. We have had a pretty cold season so far, but hopefully we are out of the danger from cold nights/mornings.

When we were younger, with we would come down your way many times a year to take the kids to D Land.

Often we would hop on 405 to get to your area then hug the coast as much as possible from there. Back home for several months than back to Cali. It sure was nice leaving the snow. Coming back over Donners was a bugger at times. Most of the time we would backtrack and come back through Vegas.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Don't know much about gardening here, in the past was too busy doing other stuff.

What size pots are those. I didn't realize the tomato plants would get to harvest inside what looks like a smaller planter pot. Maybe I will get more agressive with planting.

I like your setup.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Is there any marks or problems with the mellons from growing on the hard surface?

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks.

The boxes out here are $50 each and the vertical post set is another $30. I need to provide the mix and the plants. That is going to make this first harvest pretty expensive per tomato.

I think it will be fun and am looking forward to getting it started. They will be home grown and I am looking forward to some great tasing eats.

I am thinking of getting another one this season to grow some herbs.

I am going to try some hanging buckets. I want to try a tomato and some peppers. I need to plant some onions and that will be my salsa bucket.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks.
    We got the idea from an article about "container gardening". I forget the gallon size these are but measure 11" tall and 13" diameter at the top. Thing is with tomatoes the root system stays fairly clustered in a ball, and since they are watered daily they don't have to have extensive roots for nournishment nor for stability. Also since they are annuals they die off at year end. We tried container growing hostas one summer after buying some expensive huge hostas only to lose them all over winter. The containers don't provide them with proper protection in our climate.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    How often do you furtalize and with what?

Kent
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Not that I can see. They are starting to get the lines on the outside. I guess it wont be to long till picking. I went out of town and had someone water it for me. I think they failed. When I got home it was bone dry ant the leaves were brown closest to the box. The melons are still growing so I guess I'm ok. Don't know how long or how many they produce. Got about 11 on it now.
  • RRP
    Options
    Three weeks after planting we fertilize them using Miracle-Grow per directions on the box for vegetables and then once a month after that. If you do it more often they produce boo-coo green stalks but little fruit. Seems to work for us in spite of only 4 to 5 hours per day of direct sunshine. I still think the daily watering in the pots which can actually drain at the bottom if necessary is also the secret.
  • El Jefe
    El Jefe Posts: 96
    Options
    check out "square gardening". cheap and easy.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    From what I got a couple of years ago 11 is a good yield.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks, I will look that up.

... There is a lot of reference to Square Foot Gardening, I am guessing that is what you are refering to.

GG