Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first butt, a few questions

Maciek
Maciek Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do my first boston butt for a bbq tomorrow at 6 pm.

I am actually doing two 6.5 lb butts at the same time on my large. I figured I would put them on at 6 am, so that they have between 8 and 12 hours to cook. I figure if they finish in 8, I can cooler them for up to 4 hours, and worse case scenario they won't be done until the guests start showing up.

Does this sound right to you guys? Any advice would be appreciated.

Maciek

Comments

• Maciek
    Actually, I have another question.

I was planning on covering the butts with yellow mustard and then coating with rub. I wasn't going to do any brining or injecting yet as I am still reading up on the various methods.

Should I cover them with rub tonight and refrigerate overnight or just do it shortly before the cook. The rubs I will be using are Dizzy Dust on one, and Dr. Bbqs big time bbq rub on the other.

Thanks again.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    My experience with butts that size is that 18 or 20 hours is more likely. I'd be inclined to put them on at 250 dome temp at about 10:00 pm this evening for an overnighter. Enjoy.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Sounds like a good plan but pull according to temp (195/200 internal) most will go in the times you planned. General rule is 1 1/2 2 hrs a pound (per individual weight not combined). 14 hrs. might be your outside line but butts are all different. I've rubbed a day before & 1 hour before cooking and did not notice much difference.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    A butt is a funny thing. No two are the sane. ;) You have two options. One go with your plan and if they arn't 190ish when guest show and want pull have sliced pork. The meat will still taste great and safe to serve. IF it does come off alittle early you can cooler it BUT I doubt that will happen. If you must have pulled pork give yourself 14 hrs or so. It probably will not take that long but the last thing you want is to be in a bind entertaining. Your stressed and then everyone else is which defeats the porpuse. IMO Injection on pulled pork not worth the effort. The flavor is in the bark and two 7lb butts will be better than one 14 lb butt!! :whistle:
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Sounds like a plan. I would cook at 250 dome and I would probably put them on a 0500 just. Did two 8 pounders a couple of weeks ago and it took one 14.5 hours and the other 16.
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    I would agree with the others that you should plan on around 14 to 17 hours to cook to internal temp of 190. I have done several butts and they have taken at least 14 to 16 hrs.

Good Luck and enjoy.
  • VictoryRay
    VictoryRay Posts: 18
    im with the everyone else. no two butts are the same, and their are alot of differant things to talk into consideration. the last time i did butts, i did two 7 pounders at 225. one finished at 17 1/2 hrs and the other was 19 1/2 hrs (which actually worked out great for a second round of eating). i took both to an internal of around 197deg, it was really effortless to pull them and they turned out great. i also agree that injecting a butt doesnt really add alot(just my 2cents), the marbling in the piece of meat does its own great job at that as long as its a good quality meat. on thing i also do is, set the meat out on the counter for a couple hours to get it closer to room temp.

regardless of how you do it, i bet youll have a great time egging!!

good luck on your cook,

ray
  • Maciek
    I decided that I better put them on tonight. They've been in the rub for about 30 minutes and I'm getting the egg ready. I just lit the charcoal and plan to let it go for an hour at a steady temp before the meat goes in. Thanks for the advice to everyone!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Smart move. ;) No stress tomorrow. Reheated pulled pork darn near as good as fresh. Hope you have a "Q" so you can get some GOOD sleep.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    I second that emotion the flavor is in the bark, unless you do inject the meat the mustard (good idea) and rub will not penetrate very far into the meat. But the inside meat is great as is if cooked right. Low and slow. 235 to 250 You just can't hurry a good butt.
    If you want to flavor up the interior after it is cooked sprinkle on some rub and or sauce and toss it. IMO it is best not to use to much sauce after the fact when tossing it, just enough to slightly flavor and your guest can add as much as they like.
    When it is about half way done hose it with apple juice every time you open the egg.
  • VictoryRay
    VictoryRay Posts: 18
    thats a good point tommy, i did forget to mention that i spritz mine every couple hours with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider viniger. well i really use that on alot of stuff now that i think about it.

hope it turns out well