Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Deviled Eggs

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you haven't done these yet you must give them a try. Someone awhile back (I think it was Reg) posted about smoking eggs. I thought he was kidding but my curiosity got the better of me. What could I loose, 89 cents worth of eggs? Anyhow they are fantastic. [p]I boil and peel two dozen eggs, roll three in rub, place them all on an inverted plate setter covered in foil and smoke them at 200* or less, with a combination of apple and orange chips for about 90 minutes. Chop up the three rubbed ones along with the other yolks and use your favorite recipe from there. I use mayo, dry mustard, worchester, vinegar and usually a little more rub. [p]Also I usually rinse off the eggs after smoking them, it cleans them up a bit. They look pretty much like a brown egg. [p]Chuck <><

Comments

• Chuck
    eggs1.jpg
    <p />Sorry, just trying to add a pic.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Chuck,
    Those sound really good. What type of rub did you use? Would you recommend a spicy rub, or just a general all purpose rub? Also, do you rinse the ones with the rub too?

• Chuck
    nikkig,[p]I use a spicy rub, Big Bubbas Rubba Chipotle. It adds a little kick to them. Don't rinse the rubbed ones, you want that rub in the filling. [p]Chuck <><

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Chuck,
    Thanks. I think I will use Bad Byron's Butt Rub on mine, it has just a little kick too it (chipolte powder also), but is not 3 alarm hot.

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Chuck,[p]That was Reg that posted the smoked deviled egg recipe. I've done it 4 or 5 times now. I usually smoke only 2 eggs per dozen and use them in the filling for the unsmoked eggs.[p]I've also found that the eggs are really hard to keep from turning rubbery. The last few times I've taken the smoked eggs and run them through a food processor and that helps alot. How'd you keep yours from getting rubbery?[p]Anyway, they are really good! I think I'll try smoking the whole dozen once I figure out the trick to keeping them from being rubbery.[p]--Kevin[p]

• Chuck
    Ca_rnivore,[p]I too have done them 4 or 5 times and haven't experienced the rubberey ones yet. I start out with a low, smoky fire (the C~W method) so the eggs are actually starting out in a 100* BGE. It then slowly climbs to 180* - 200* for the next 1/2 hour. I flip them once and take them out no longer than 1-12 hours. I think Reg called for 2 hours and if that was at 200* the whole time it may be the cause of the rubber eggs. I have always done 1 or 2 dozen and smoke them all.[p]Chuck

• Ca_rnivore
    Chuck,[p]Yeah, I've been stabilizing the BGE at around 200 before putting the eggs in. I've cut back the cooking time to 1 hour, but it's still too much at 200 degrees. I think I'll try putting them on sooner and letting the temp rise slowly. [p]I tried using no daisy/top and an almost closed lower vent for jerky the other day. I was able to keep the temp between 160-180 for over an hour. I'll try this with the eggs.[p]Could you please explain the C~W method of fire building? I read the forum where he hangs out, but I must have missed his technique.[p]Thanks,
    Kevin

• Chuck
    Ca_rnivore,[p]The C~W smoky fire method is all I use for cooks that need smoke and or long cooks (that usually need smoke too). I do my jerky this way and have done many 15 to 24 hour cooks this way and always get good smoke and have never had the fire go out. [p]Start with a small pile of lump,a handfull or 2, I even unload some if there is too much leftover from the prior cook. Light this from under the ash grate (the only way I ever fire up) and let the coals get red hot. The temp may climb to 300* but don't worry the ceramics aren't heated up yet and it will drop quickly when you open the dome. Put a layer of lump over the hot coals. Then a layer of chips and or chunks, I wet mine first. Then more lump to the level you need for your length of cook. By the time you put your food on and close it up you are back down to under 150*.[p]Hopefully I did Char-Woody justice with my explanation. [p]Give it a try some time, it gives you a lot of smoke for a long time. Good luck. [p]Chuck <>< [p]

• Ca_rnivore
    Chuck,[p]Thanks! That seems like a logical and way to get lots of smoke for a long time. I'll give it a try next time I do a low & slow.[p]--Kevin