Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

high country users

ptrptr Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i live in colorado, my house sits at about 7500 feet. any high country egg users out there that give me advise or cautions about using the cooker this high up?
·

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Get a very tall ladder.

You should have no problems, make sure you adjust your dome thermometers to you altitude.

To to this site and follow the instructions to get the boiling point for your altitude. If necessary adjust the dome thermometer in boiling water. Adjust ment screw is on the back of the dome thermometer and it uses a 7/16" wrench.

Any altitude adjustment you have in your normal cooking will apply the same way with the same things done in the egg.

You should have no problems.

GG
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Also,I found it more difficult to get the coal lit at my sisters house in Westminster, needed to keep the torch on longer than at home (3000ft). -RP
    ·
  • Never SummerNever Summer Posts: 162
    Someone posted this helpful link: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/High_Altitude_Cooking_and_Food_Safety/index.asp

Once you get your thermometer calibrated, you're good to go. Just make the same high altitude recipe adjustments you would for cooking in the oven or on the stovetop.

I'm in Grand Lake at 8500 feet - where are you at?

Have fun with the egg! There's a learning curve, but you'll find most answers right here.

Patty
    ·
  • ptrptr Posts: 24
    thanks for the link. i had no idea so much was going on every time i cook! i live in monument. (here the boiling point of water is currently 198.52 degrees!)
    ·