Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong?

Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm sitting here enjoying another glass of Yellow Tail wondering what I did wrong with my pork chops. These were very lean center cut chops, about 1 3/4" thick, and NO fat. I seasonded them with seaoning salt, garlic power and ground pepper and covered with mustard. Then, I put them on the Egg at 270 degrees with a few chunks of apple wood. I turned them after 30 minutes and checked with a thermometer after 50 minutes - internal temp was 150 - time to take them off the grill. They were just ok in my opinion - very good flavor from the apple wood, but a bit dry - no juice at all. Should these have been cooked more like a steak - hotter temp for 2-3 min per side and then left to dwell for a couple more minutes? Or, is there another secret to making these lean pork chops turn out well?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Steve-O,
    Lean hot temps 500-600º 2-4 min per side, fat low and slo 225-250º for as long as it takes.

• Steve-O, next time take them off at 140 deg int for juicy and a little pink.

• Steve-O
    Jim Minion,
    Like I said in my original post, these were very lean chops. They had been trimmed very close and had no visible fat in them. I think next time I will cook them more like a steak and see how they turn out.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Steve-O,[p]try brining'em. [p]the recipe below seems to make chops "creamy." [p]cb
    [ul][li]vanilla/habanero brined pork chops [/ul]
  • Steve-O,
    Stuffing can help also.
    Jim

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Steve-O,
    Wife and I do inch and a half two inch (yes, two inch) center cuts all the time and they are plenty moist! 600º - 700º sear two minutes on a side, we use JJ's Rub almost exclusively, dwell for 4 or 5 minutes. Finished the centers are a very light pink and the juice is deep on the plate.
    My two cents worth

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Steve-O,[p]If you are really into pork chops, as I am, try to locate the May & June 2002 issue of "Cook's Illustrated" magazine. They did an exhaustive story on grilling the thick ones. I've had much success with their findings.[p]Today's ultra lean pork will benefit nicely from brining. Try a basic brine of 1/2 cup each of sugar and salt (1 cup salt if Kosher) dissolved in 3 qts of water. Use a zip loc bag and brine for about an hour.[p]Even though you pulled them off the Egg at 150*, they probably continued to cook at least another 5 degrees or more. 140* is all you need to keep them juicy and a hint of pink is considered acceptable by today's new thinking chefs.[p]The magazine suggests bone-in "rib" chops as the most tasty and I agree after much experimentation.[p]I'm a big fan of smoking them first to an internal temp of about 135* and then covering with foil while the Egg heats up to 550-600* A one minute per side blast at these high temps will add the grill marks and make for a nice presentation.[p]I have some interesting recipes to share (IMHO) if anyone is interested.[p]chileside.gif[p][p][p][p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    pchop2.jpg
    <p />Steve-O,[p]I love to do pork chops like you had. They are cut from the pork loin just like a filet mignon is cut from a beef loin, and you're right -- no fat or very darn little. That was your clue to go "Fast & Hot" when you cooked it. I do mine around 600 deg for a few min on each side and no dwell. Sometimes I dwell but not often.[p]The poor picture are 3 pork chops about 1.5" thick and each with a different Char-Crust on them to test. The black one was mine! It chared only the outside coating and was wonderful - it was the SouthWest one.[p]Rule of thumb: lean meat = cook fast & hot
    fatty meat = cook loooong and low[p]
    Tim
    [/b]
  • Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Jim Minion,How do you stuff & cook chops?

• Birdman,
    Take chop 1 1/2" or thicker and cut in a pocket in the side
    almost to the bone. Stuff with your favorite stuffing, I like bread crumbs, blue cheese, sauted onions and garlic, grill hot and fast.
    Jim

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    KennyG,[p]If you have time, I would appreciate your pork chop recipes. Email is fine with me.[p]dalet@mpinet.net[p]Later
    Cajun

• Steve-O
    James Minion,
    Man that sounds good!!!

• Steve-O
    Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions for lean pork chops - now I wish I had querried the forum for suggestions BEFORE I cooked instead of after a disappointing cook. I'll do better next time.