Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

outdoor storage ideas please

Options
Hangfire77
Hangfire77 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello guys got a quick one for you. I did try the search and did find some posts with titles that looked liked they would work but when i click on them the page loads blank. So I did try to find the answer first :sick:

I would like to store my egg stuff out on the deck near the BGE but am worried about moisture getting to the lump. I looked at the ones from lowes /home depot but am not sure if they would be good enough. I plan on keeping my lump ,extra grate ,ext cord, fire starter, rib rack ect. you get the idea any help would be great. Also on another note the grate at the bottom of the egg does it matter if the bevel edge is up or down?

thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That's what gas grills are for. -RP
    IMG_0403Small.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    bevel goes down!!!
    here is what i use

Picture.jpg

keep my lump inside along with my guru but everything else goes in the blue tub cost $5

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have the 4x5 rubbermaid i bought at HD. I keep three to four bags of charcoal, a cooler and all my other egg accessories to include DOs, platesetters etc. so far it has done a good job keeping things dry
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    In my profile pic you'll see the trash barrel I use to store my lump outside all year round, always keeps it dry even on the road.
    The bevel on the grate should go down to fit the contour of the Egg.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Not the best, but about $80. In Home Depot. Not in direct rain, but protects the lump pretty well.
    Bottom shelves hold Guava, Cherry, Hickory chunks.

81c6cbd7.jpg

fd0d9a4c.jpg

The grate holes should be bevel down
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    I use a garbage can for my lump as well. And I picked up a big ice scoop from a restaurant supply house to keep my hands clean.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I bought that exact cabinet a few weeks ago. It's not going to win any awards for sturdiness, but it gets the job done and it's a lot better than storing stuff on the table's lower shelf. I put mine under an eave and stuff stays nice and dry.
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Is that Nature Glo in the bag? My neighbor gave me one from the Lions Club cood last weekend. I was going to the Naked Whiz site to check it out, but saw this and wondered if it was the same. It is made by Royal Oak.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    I use a galvanized trash can. I have a table I built with doors making it easy to hide it from view. It works great. Actually most of my lump etc is stored in my garage. I buy alot of that.

Good Luck!
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I use the Nature-Glo also. It is great for $10.49 20lb.
    Cooks as well or better than more expensive stuff.

Walt
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I agree completely:
    IMG_9317.jpg

hehe
  • GriffinGaDawg
    GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
    Options
    should see my setup. I put my lump in a plastic tub and it has never been so much as damp and it has remained exposed to the elements for over 2 years now and never a problem.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    I figured I could build two tables in not much more time it took to build one, so I did - already had the granite and corian on hand. Use the bottom of the second table for smokin woods, fire bricks, and a bag of lump. I built a TV unit for my sons some years back while they were geauxing to LSU. Store a bunch of eggcessories in it. Put some wheels on it and it's under my carport next to my workbench just a few steps from "El Grande and Poquito".

101_2644640x480.jpg

101_2685640x480.jpg
  • Hangfire77
    Hangfire77 Posts: 45
    Options
    Awesome!! thanks a million for the ideas guys. there are alot to choose from lol. I think I know what i may do. My biggest concern was keeping the lump dry and as always happens on here you guys stepped up and answered great.

Thanks
  • FlaMike
    Options
    I can't find it any more. Used to get it at GFS, now they sell RO - probably the same stuff in a different bag.
  • FlaMike
    Options
    Careful what you put on top. It's pretty weak and will definitely sag if a heavy box is put there.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yeah, I've put a couple of cans of stain/urethane up there and the doors barely opened. Like I said, it's really just a few fairly sturdy shelves and a rain cover.