Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orange/ginger sauce for smoking?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While rooting around in the pantry I came across this bottle of orange/ginger glaze sauce my wife bought recently. I have this 5 pound Boston Butt that I'm planning to smoke in a day or two, and I'm thinking about using this stuff, just to get something a little different.

The ingredient list is sugar, ater, vinegar, ginger, soy sauce, sea salt, orange peel, and red pepper. Sounds pretty good to me.

But I'm wondering, should I be concerned about this stuff burning at around 250 degrees? Should I still do a brine? (I think I've read that the brine helps break down proteins in the meat, or something like that -- something that contributes to the fall-apart tenderness of the final product.)

Opinions, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

Comments

• I am no experts however I thought glazes went on at the end of the cook because the sugar has a tendency to burn.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It is my understanding that sauces, etc with sugars will not scorch at less than approx 300deg. I am no expert to say the least. It may be best to wait until last couple of hours of cooking just to get as much flvor from the sauce as possible.
    I routinely use various marinades(to varying degrees of success =) as basting sauces. Usually whatever I can find on sale. Maybe I should try making some......
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    I think you would want to start the glaze about 30 t0 60 minutes before it is finished assuming your at 235 to 250 It is mostly for appearance I doubt it will contribute much to the overall flavor.
    But I'm not expert.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Brine it then smoke and use the glaze as a sauce after it is done. I also would be afraid it would burn.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    How does it taste?
    If you want to do something different like that, you might want to try it first and see if you can't build something around it. Doesn't sound like something that would normally go well with a smoked boston butt, but if you geared your marinade and rub around that flavor profile, you could run into something interesting. And like they said below, your sauce is prolly best used as a glaze. But taste that thang first and make sure it's up your alley!

You could brine, but I wouldn't bother. Pork shoulder just tastes so good without it.

Have a blast.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    Unless you inject it not much of the flavor will penetrate very far anyway.
  • GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    I use orange marmalade in alot of my pork cooks, the stuff that doesn't run off into the dip pan does not seem to burn on the meat.