Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun Egg'n Weekend!!!

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mom had a few requests for the weekend...The Eggs and I were glad to accomodate

Friday night pizza...getting the fire ready
IMG_0424.jpg

Margherita pizza
IMG_0425.jpg

The Works
IMG_0426.jpg

Yummy
IMG_0427.jpg

Saturday...Bacon wrapped tater tots & wings
IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Mother's Day Dinner

Ribs
IMG_0444.jpg

No Knead Asiago Bread
IMG_0446.jpg

Dinner...Mom was Happy & so was I
IMG_0447.jpg

Mother's day Peonies...our neighbor grows them
IMG_0448.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Looks like you were busy Kim.

Sorry I missed you Saturday morning by 5 minutes :(
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well i am glad i stayed. i was getting ready to go watch some tv because it was getting a little slow and you post this...

first of all great pics looks like ya'll had a fun weekend {you and the eggs}...LOL.... and jenny{sp} also.

second what is the works? i see olives pepperoni and these little seed looking things what are they. they almost look like pinenuts. but it has been awhile since i came across any good ones..

third great shot of the tots!!!

fourth... now you know better than comming in here and showing us bread lovers, a loaf of no knead asiago bread without sharing the recepie and procedure i have done the no knead but mine has not come out looking anything like yours so i know you changed the recipe more than adding cheese ;) ..... so spill it :woohoo:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    did you get some coal?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Pics look great but no Vodka & clamato?? :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Great pics Kim

Pat
  • Fidel
    Options
    You could say that. I was at restaurant depot and loaded up and left about the same time Kim was pulling in - 9:00am yesterday morning.

Lump.jpg

I have close to 500 pounds on hand now between 20 bags of RO, a few bags of BGE, and a couple WGC WW.

I picked up 9 slabs of ribs in there too, and will go back for a shoulder clod and my next brisket. I saw an 18 pounder in there.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I did get some lump but not near as much as Rod (Fidel)... :P I mostly got meat. That was my first visit to that store and it was great...

those are Pine Nuts..Ginny buys them at Costco in a 1 or 2# bags...we love them on pizza & salads...

I just used the regular No Knead recipe..I then finely shredded Asiago Cheese (1 Cup) I put the cheese during the last step of the fold of the dough. I tried to work it in well and put some on top...

it tasted great even though the bottom of the bread got burned...I just cut it off & no one even knew...next time I will use 1 1/2 cups just to try it...I also want to add Pine Nuts to the bread... :laugh:
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea well with the price you paid i bet you will start hoarding the rest of your stash like i do.. i still have some WW i got from CW last summer. now i only have half a bag and i have only used it when my guru was down. but i still have it and i will proabably buy some more (wish i could find some CB). but i have been there 3 times including eggtoberfest and will go there in a drop of a hat for more but i have 15 bags on hand right now no need to make a 4 hour ride for nothing :woohoo:

but i did not see any hangers in your basket... whats up with that???? they are $2.45 a lb i mean come on :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i guess we should just go ahead and call you pinenut or maybe that can be ginny's handle :laugh: ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Options
    I saw the hangers but already had the weekend cooks set and I am leaving for Seattle Tuesday and coming back late Saturday - so I didn't want to freeze them.

I'll be back. The chuck rolls were really calling me....25 pounds of pulled beef! Maybe we could split one. Call me next time you are coming through or near ATL and I'll pick up some WW for you at Ace Hardware if you want.
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea the chuck roll is the largest single peice of meat i have done on the egg

DSCN0305.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

but we did not do pulled beef it was for a wedding i did 3 that size for roast beef it was ok the bride liked it and no one got sick so a pretty good cook..

i buy the hangers everytime i go there i bring them home sut open the package and trim them up (make sure to open the package i froze one pack before i knew there were two in there :blush: ) season them with RTS and foodsaver them.. another reason to buy a foodsaver.. another reason is the 10 lb rolls of hamburger.. you got taco meat (sorry son is a taco nut) also frozen homemade bubba burgers that you froze.. just unwrap and throw on the egg frozen.... works like a charm ;)

did you take a jacket?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Great lookin cook Kim...those ribs look delicious!! ;)
  • Fidel
    Options
    I didn't take a jacket, but at least I didn't wear shorts! I saw the parkas hanging by all the cooler entrances.

It is a cool place, I could spend hours in there.
  • BENTE
    Options
    hours and a thou$and

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    I have also been tempted to get a chuck roll from RD but have been too nervous as i wasnt really sure how to cook or what kind of meat i would have as an end product. So pulled beef would be the best way to expect to use it?
  • BENTE
    Options
    i have done one it was great i bought the chuck roll at publix.... it was funny to see the guy's face when i asked him for a big one and he asked me how big and i said how big you got i will take it....pricele$$..follow clayq's recipe::

Beef, Roast, Chuck, Pulled, BBQ, ClayQ's

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Choice chuck roasts
    10 Strips of good bacon
    1 cup About a cup of tomato based BBQ sauce
    1/3 cup Real maple syrup
    2/3 cup Water
    1 Tbs Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
    3 Tbs Peanut oil

Preparation Directions:
    1 Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then spice, (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick).
    2 Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250 degrees dome. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, platesetter feet up, grid on platesetter, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.
    Cooking Directions:
    Stage one;
    1 Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in egg and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160 internal remove from egg.
    Stage two;
    1 In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the egg and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250. Cook for about 2 hours, until beef is 215 internal and remove from egg.
    Stage three;
    1 Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Discard bacon. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add your favorite sauce. Taste test. Now skim fat from juice and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, let’s go back to the egg. Lift platesetter and throw hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and ½ hours. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side. This is a treat that brings together great beef flavor, sauce and hickory smoke. Let’s eat!

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Clay Q croberts@new.rr.com

Source: BGE Forum, ClayQ, 03/06/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great job on the cooks, Kim!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Kim,
    Great weekend and great pictures.
    Ross
  • vidalia1
    Options
    So that is what you do with those big honkin' pieces of beef we saw in there...BTW before we went into RD (it was my 1st trip) my wife said "remember to use restraint" :evil:

man was that difficult in that place..... :whistle:
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Kim:

Great pics! Please tell me how to do the tots.

Thanks.

Mike
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Hey Mike...before I give you the recipe...look through your stack of orders for tools...mine is in there somewhere...LOL

Here you go:

Maple Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots

Ingredients:

Tater tots
    Maple Bacon (not thick cut)
    Dizzy Pig' s Shakin' the Tree
    Wooden Toothpicks

Food Preparation:

Let tater tots thaw out for approximately 30 minutes until a toothpick can easily be passed through the tot. Do not let the tots sit out too long as they will crumble when trying to stick the toothpick in them.

Cut a piece of the Maple bacon into 3 equal strips. Wrap 1 piece of cut maple bacon around a tot and skewer with the toothpick. Sprinkle Dizzy Pig's Shakin' the Tree over the wrapped tots. Wrap as many tots as you will need to feed your group.

Twenty to thirty tots is usually enough for 2 people and this will use approximately 1/2 pound of bacon.

Grill Preparation:

I cook the tots on a Big Green Egg. Cook the tots indirect using a plate setter at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes or until the bacon is done. Turn the tots after 30 minutes to get both sides of the bacon crisp. Sprinkle a little more Shakin' the Tree when you turn the tots. When the maple bacon tots are done, remove from the grill and carefully remove the toothpicks. Place the cooked tots on a plate and let them sit for a few minutes so the bacon firms up.

Eat & enjoy...your guests will love them

Cooking tip:

I cook these a lot when cooking chicken wings. I put the maple bacon wrapped tots above the wings and the maple bacon drips on the wings. It just enhances the flavor of the wings.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Kim:

Yep...it's there! I'm hurrying, My Friend.

Thanks for the detailed recipe. I've got to try these.

Many Thanks.

Mike
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Mike,

I know you are hurrying...i just had to kid ya'... :P

enjoy the tots as they are awesome... :laugh:
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    If looks could only be the taste test. I am truly impressed. Nice job all the way around. :woohoo:
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Now that's some hardcore lump there! Was there any comment from the store checkers, did they look at you like you might be slightly off center? I'm impressed.
  • Fidel
    Options
    The only funny look I got was from the forklift operator when I told him I needed another pallet pulled.

I wish I would have taken a trailer down because I would have bought a pallet at that price.