Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Refrigerator advice

Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our GE 22 CU FT refrigerator is not cooling. It is a side by side. The compressor is working as the freezer is working well but the best I can get the refrigerator's temperature is 50+ degrees. Any suggegestions before i have to call in a repairman or buy a new one.

Thanks

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Air from the freezer is usually the source of cooling the refrigerator section of combination units. When you rotate the dial to call for a cooler fridge temp you are usually opening an air passage way from the freezer. Make sure that the points that allow the air to flow between the two sections aren't blocked or otherwise obstructed. In my unit the temp selection dial turns the air louver via a mini belt. If there's a removable shroud in your fridge you might be able to open it and check to see if the belt is opening or closing the louver in the air passage. Good luck!~
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    is something blocking the flow of air from the freezer into the fridge? if you only have one compressor, the fridge is cooled by air from the freezer. check for frost on the back of the freezer. might not be defrosting correctly. if frost builds up the damper that lets air into the fridge can be blocked or kept shut
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jawjajoe
    Jawjajoe Posts: 51
    Make sure that both fan's are blowing. The one in the inside moves the air around through the evaporator to remove the warm air (by removing the warm air things become cold). If the evap fan isn't blowing it could be bad of the defrost cycle isn't working properly and there may be ice build up keeping the blade from turning. The outside fan, aka condenser fan, helps to keep the compressor cool and blows air over the water in the pan that water collects in from the defrost cycle. If the condenser isn't blowing it could be obstructed with something or just bad. If it isn't turning or won't, try placing a box fan or something of the like to blow air on the compressor to cool it some. You should have to remove a cardboard like cover on the back to expose the cond fan. Also if the cond fan is spinning your condensor could be blocked with dust that gets sucked through the front to cool things.

Check these and holler back if I can help further or pm me @ cran6260atbellsouth.net.

Joe
  • Thanks for the quick responses. We had already done the following but to no avail. Defrosted the freezer, vaccumn the back to ensure the condenser and fan were clean and checked the airflow.

I went back and checked the airflows again. It appears the vegetable and fruit bins are cold but the top vent was shut. I checked to see if it would open when I turned the dial but it did not. I open it manually but little or no air is coming through. I wonder if it is the second fan. I cannot hear it whirring in the freezer.
  • Jawjajoe
    That could be the evap fan motor humming or I have seen the motor spinning but the blade wasn't. just got to remove the necessary shrouds to get to the fan to see what is going on.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    The self defrost element went on my 9 year old fridge, the cooling coils iced up and fridge/freezer would not get as cold as usual. $150 later good as new. HTH
    WingRider
  • My wife just told me the freezer is beginning to freeze up again. I think we will watch it for the day to see what happens and then defrost over night. It might me that I failed the other day to defrost it long enough. If that does not work I will look tomorrow to see if the all the fans are working. Push come to shove I will call a repairman but my wife has already made her mind up to get a new one.
  • Jawjajoe
    If the fan isn't blowing the evaporator will show signs of frosting or icing up. It should take several days for the evap to become a "block" of ice and be restricted. Good luck.

Joe
  • It is always intriquing when an applince goes. This refrigerator is only 4 years old. We have had others for years.

Again thanks for your assistance.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    If the light is still working SC will probably take it! 8 - )
  • John, If you need to call someone, try Chuck at American Appliance Service in Berlin 410-213-8411. I dealt with him when I was in the rental business and he alwats managed to fix things before resorting to replacement. Check your warranty first, if it's something major it might have a 5 year warranty. Good luck, Janet