Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first timer

cigarstock
cigarstock Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got mine delivered this morning. About ready to go out and fire up for some ribs. Any advice from you pros. I have been looking a long time but the bug got me this week and bit me.

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    There is a little block upper left that says search forum. Enter Ribs and have a go at it. I'm kind of partial to Car Wash Mike's Ribs. Try Dizzy Pig's website. Third Eye's, Wess B's. I mean there are so many choices. Try one if you like it keep it if not go to the next one. If this is your first time. Get the temp settle down and go with Mike's good Luck.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I've got ribs on right now also. Gotta keep mom happy. She wants ribs I make ribs. Plus it's fun having my mom here.

I'm doing these the 3.1.1/5 way from WessB's site

I have also tried Carwash Mike's

CWM is my favorite but mom likes Wess's way. It's a little more fall of the bone.
  • cigarstock
    cigarstock Posts: 61
    Thanks to all. Just trying to figure out how to fine tune temp. such that does smaller hole in bottom make cooler or makes more of a air rush and make hotter?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    More air means hotter fire.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Congrats. The 3-1-1 method or form there of is an easy way to get good results. Tip: for tinder ribs add some burbon and Coke in the foil befor you wrap them for the hr cook.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    The top and bottom openings should roughly be equal. The bottom does more to control the temperature then the top. For low temp cooks (225 degree), the bottom is opened about the width of a credit card or slightly wider. First make sure the lump is burning well, no blue smoke, and then restrict the air and let the temperature stabilize. When burning at low temperatures, there is always the possibility the fire may go out so keep an eye on things periodically.

Happy eggin, you are going to love what the egg can do to meat!!!