Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Scallops

Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. Tonight I'm going to cook some bacon wrapped scallops. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?

Comments

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Peggy,
    I've never done bacon wrapped scallops before. I usually blacken my scallops. I coat them lightly with blackened seasonings then cook them on a cast iron skillet at 500 degrees for 3 minutes per side for sea scallops.[p]Let us know how your bacon wrapped scallops turned out.[p]Beers,[p]Mr Beer

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Peggy, too late (unless you eat real late) but there is a good recipe I follow in the submitted recipes section. Believe me, these are gooooooood.

[ul][li]Scallops Wrapped in Bacon[/ul]
  • Peggy,
    I second, third and forth this recipe from Wise one
    Awesome
    dublin

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Wise One,thanks for follow-up. I had already started my scallops. They were out of this world!!! All I did was microwave a pound of bacon on 50% power for 5 minutes and on high for 2 minutes to precook. I took 1.2 pounds of scallops and seasoned with pepper and Old Bay. Since my scallops were very large, I cut each one on half and wrapped one half slice of bacon around the scallop and secured with a toothpick. I placed them in a grill basket and cooked at 500 for 3/4 minutes per side. I used hickory to smoke and I'll tell you, this simple dish was fit for company. My husband said it was TOO good for company.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Peggy, I have tried bacon wrapped scallops about every imaginable way. And every way is absolutely fantastic. My 18-year old son and I will sit and eat a pound by ourselves. Just a little cocktail sauce, a bacon wrapped scallop and I'm in heaven. [p]Also, good are the bacon wrapped chesse-filled jalapenos.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Peggy,[p]Next time you have some scallops, try this simple little twist. [p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops [p]1 pound Scallop(s)
    1 tablespoon Olive oil
    1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
    1/4 teaspoon Kosher (coarse) salt
    1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, fresh ground
    8 slice(s) Prosciutto
    3 tablespoon(s) Honey
    1 tablespoon Lemon juice, fresh
    1/4 teaspoon Salt[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine olive oil, thyme and salt & pepper. Add scallops and toss to coat.
    Cut the prosciutto into equal length strips and wrap around the scallops.
    Cover and refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes.
    Combine the honey, lemon juice and salt and whisk together. Set aside.
    Grill the scallops over high heat for 5 minutes, turning halfway through.
    Apply the glaze during the last 2 minutes of grilling. Flip and then add more glaze on the other side.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Stogie,[p]I made a bunch of scallops last Thanksgiving and did half with bacon and half with prosciutto. I was surprised at how many guests preferred the prosciutto. Actually, the recipe I used was similar to the one you post above. I'll have to try your recipe out.[p]As for my personal preference, there'll always be room in my heart for both bacon and prosciutto...[p]
    Later,
    Cornfed

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Cornfed,[p]I much prefer the proscuitto as well. Nowhere near the hassles of bacon and still very tasty.[p]I like the sweetness of the honey to counter the salty proscuitto.[p]Hope you enjoy it![p]Stogie