Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Roast

EggHeadFred
EggHeadFred Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,

Planing on cooking a 5 lb. pork roast for Mom's Day.
Setting up egg for indirect cook using a plate setter.
About how long will it take and what temp should i use?

Thanks,

Fred
Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    1-1/2 to 2 hrs/lb.

On this small, probably on the shorter size - don't forget to allow for the rest period of an hour after pulling from the egg.

GG
  • EggHeadFred
    Thanks for the info,what temp?
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    All depends on the type of roast.

If it's a loin I would cook it at 350 dome indirect for about an hour and a half to two hours. Pull it at 145 internal and wrap in foil.

If it's a butt or shoulder I'd cook it at 250 dome indirect till it's 195 internal. Anywhere from 8-12 hours.

If it's a crown rack. I would follow the link. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1742,152181-240205,00.html Just substitute Egg for Oven, and add apple wood as your smoking wood.
  • EggHeadFred
    It is a Porl Loin Top Loin Boneless 5.21 lb from Costco, looks nice.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I like those. Have you ever thought about cutting it in a slab and stuffing it with spinach and cheese, then rolling it back up.

Porkloin004.jpg

Porkloin001.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one way I like.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/07/01

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

2008/01/29 Richard Fl: Small BGE indirect @350F. Made a #4 Loin tonight, butterflyed like a jelly roll. , added 4 Tbs Bacon Bits and a couple of tablespoons of Zaater (MidEast spice blend) to the mix along with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Nice change. store was out of capicola, so used sliced baked ham.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Whether I'm doing a "rolled-like-a-jellyroll-stuffed" roast, or unstuffed,

> use a spiffy rub, wrap in plastic, and return to fridge overnight.
    > Bring to room temp the day of the cook
    > Sear direct all sides for about 90 seconds... on the preheated cast iron grid -- about 600-ish degrees
    > Drop the Egg to 350-ish [or even lower], return the roast to the Egg, and roast indirect
    > When the internal temp gets to 140F-145F, pull the roast
    > wrap it tightly in HDfoil... double wrap in foil
    > wrap in old towels, and place in warmed "cooler" to rest for at least an hour... You can have your roast in this "cooler" for up to four hours, and the meat will just become more and more tender, and flavors will permeate all of the roast

Slice-'n-serve.

After searing, your internal temp is more important than the roasting temp [325F to 400F]. Forget how long to roast it... go by internal temp. Usually this will be about 1 hr 15 min on average, depending on the temp you're roasting the meat.

Give yourself plenty of time, use the HDfoil-towels-cooler, and you have a very wide window during which you can serve the meat.

The most important part of this cook is simple -- Don't let the internal temp climb too high! Pull at 140F-145F, and let the carry-over effect glide the meat to a safe landing.

Yummy!

Good luck!

~ Broc

:) :laugh: :)