Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFS Lump??

Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are several here i have heard say they use GFS for some things..in the past our local GFS carried RO lump, but it was the south american type and sucked pretty bad..they stopped carrying it..said it wasn't selling..duh!..anyway..I noticed the other day they now have a GFS brand lump..says made in USA, all natural hardwood lump, no rain forests lumber, etc etc....anyway..I couldn't find it on TNWs site and was wondering if anyone had tried it and what their impressions were?? Thanks for any input....

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    as late as two weeks ago our GFS was still restocking American made RO after the same crappy foreign lump fiasco from a couple years ago. I'll bet if you asked the manager he could find the source of this GFS brand. BTW next time you are there pick up a tub of GFS Tavern Spread - it's a cheese spread enhanced with horseradish and is quite delicious! Trust me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I get one at GFS here in Nashville called Nature-Glo ($10.49 20lb.) and I love it-see TNW review. That is the only lump they sell here.

Walt
  • Eggtucky
    I think I'll try that RRP..and thanks for the suggestion...love cheese and love horseradish!! :woohoo:
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    I get Nature-Glo at GFS too. I like it.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I have stopped at the same store and bought 8 bags. That was 4 months ago. Gonna have to make another road trip. It is good stuff IMO. Sparks a little but calms down after it is lit.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag43.htm
  • Eggtucky
    Which stuff Mike..the Nature-Glo or the GFS brand?...nevermind..just went back and saw your link ;) :blink:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I wonder if that is the problem with my long cooks on my medium not lasting more than12-13 hours. I guess I'll be reading the bags a bit more carefully.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Nature-Glo is RO just packaged differently. I use it as well and love it. I wish I could find it for 10.49, here in Memphis it's 14.99.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    What does gfs stand for, new to me.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggtucky
    Molly, dunno what it stands for...that is actually the name..they are called 'GFS Marketplace' i think...restaurant and party supply place...maybe regional..not sure
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Gordon Food Service - it's a regional retailer back here in the midwest. OTOH for eggers in the midwest here is their website and store locator.
    http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    The GFS Royal Oak is all I burn and don't have any complaints. RRP and I shop at the same one here in Peoria and you really can't beat the product for the price, $11.00 for 20# bag, and the bags seem to have plenty of large pieces and the bags are not miss handled or thrown around at all.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Used to be " Smart & Final" a bulk item store, no membership. I buy their RO (USA), they used to sell Nature Glo (I think) also made by RO. Pretty good stuff.