Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spare Ribs

FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
edited 10:00AM in EggHead Forum
This is the third time I have cooked ribs. So far all three times the ribs had really good flavor, but I can't seem to get them as tender as I like. I may have had the grate temp too low today @225 for the first 3 hours. I kicked it up to 275 for another hour, then wrapped the ribs in foil added apple juice, and went 1.75 hours @275. Then unwrapped and on for 2 more hours. I pulled them off assuming they were done. They were ok but still not falling off the bone tender. So now they are back on and I have just basted them again with mix of bbq sauce and apple juice.

Frustrated :angry:

• dougemsmacksdougemsmacks Posts: 152
    almost 8 hours? Is your thermometer calibrated? I am no expert on ribs but with the time and foiling them for almost 2 hours I would think you couldn'tpull them out of the foil without them falling off? How much of the meat pulled back off the bone?
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    It has about 1 inch pulled back. Just lookin at em you'd think they were perfect. I can pick them up by the last 4 bones and the rib just bends down. I can pull them apart but not falling apart.
  • dougemsmacksdougemsmacks Posts: 152
    I personally Want to slightly pull on the meat a little when Ibite into them. If it was pulled back an inch they should have been tender. I usually shoot for about 3/8 of an inch andthat seems to be 4-5 hours @ 250. Again I am no expert just my2 cents
  • TommyTommy Posts: 116
    It's tough when you seek perfection is it not?
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    You got that right. I'm not a perfectionist per se, but when it comes to this...well I expect more.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,990
    when you added the apple juice did you preheat it. and with the ribs in the foil, meat side down to braise. those two things help alot, other than that your gage might be off.