Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket on XL

Mahi-MahiMahi-Mahi Posts: 162
edited 11:36PM in EggHead Forum
I did my first brisket this morning and lower my 19 inch pizza stone lower with a hanger from egg accessories and put a drip pan on it. And raised the grate about two inches above the felt line using the flip ring for the XL.
I cooked it at 240 at the dome using BBQ Guru controls and it worked great. It did drop a little bit in the sixth hour down to 222 and I stirred the charocal towards the center and it went back up. Their was a lot of charcoal left in the end. It reached 195 in eleven hours and turned out really good. It was not very black only a very thin crust. I think on the XL you have to move your deflector lower than the place setter goes so as not to char the bottom of the brisket to much.

I used a rub of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder letting it set overnight.
I put the remote for the BBQ Guru in the kitchen and went fishing and called my wife every couple of hours on what the P temperture was. It worked great now all I need is a dial up from my cell phone to check on the brisket. LOL

I did not get a chance to wrap it in foil because we ate right away.

I was fantastic.
·

Comments

• Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Glad it came out good. Don't know if you can get it but John Henry makes an awesome "Texas Brisket Rub".
    ·
  • TommyTommy Posts: 116
    Briskets are like Boston Butts or shoulders, the rubs and mops matter but the cooking process is what makes it.
    Thank god we have Eggs to cook on.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,338
    Cool beans, sounds like you got the hang of it. The rest in the cooler will make it better too.

I have a 15# packer in the fridge for tonight. It will be a game time decision on the hanger/flip ring set-up....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Nice. I like the part about going fishing. B)

But did you catch any? :huh:
    ·