Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No egg food tonight and am I so happy.

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Traded a couple slabs of baby backs for 2 lbs. of morels.
If you have never had these. So sorry. These are great.
morel1.jpg

morel2.jpg

Fried inside the house, unlike my distinguished friend, who remain nameless in SA. :woohoo:

morel3.jpg

morel4.jpg

Getting ready for batch #2.

Mike

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    I no likey da shrooms (in general unless they make me see rainbows) but after hearing about these figure I may just be missing out.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Morels are the King of the American Mushroom.

If you bothered to show up to the Waldorf Eggfest earlier you would have had some, but noooooo you had to show up late...
  • Car Wash Mike
    You are, dang these things are good.

Mike
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    That is painful to watch. Stomach sez grrrrr.

Didjya make a dipping sauce, or just eat 'em down?

Yum
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Just started eating. :ohmy: I'm going to throw a little RR in the next batch of breading. Do you have a better idea?

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Yeah bring them to my house.....

I agree with Chris.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Shame on you!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mike, our mushroom season had started out fine and when it realllllly should have gotten good it turned bone dry and cold here. Just the same I was able to have enough for two messes. For both I went really basic so the real mushroom taste would shine through. I eliminated my usual raw egg wash and merely dusted the wet mushroom pieces with shifted flour and hit with a bit of salt. Then fried them in hot butter. WHAT A TASTE TREAT!!!

My sister in central MO told me she and her boyfriend paid $20 a pound for some so you trading a couple racks of your ribs was probably a higher priced transaction - but worth it I know!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Hey Ron,
    Need to try that. They are selling for $27 lb. here. These were cleaned, dirt free and ready to egg wash and cook.
    I call it even. I'm so full, I don't feel like cooking his ribs. :woohoo:

Mike
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Le Ouch! Maybe in October? Maybe I need to cook some sacrifices? LOL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Oh Hayhonker, they are only available about 4-6 weeks out of the year.

Mike
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Man! I paid $9.95 for a 1/4 lb. of dried Morels today! Ya know, when nothing else will do, who cares. Right?
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Anyone else notice the sponge mushrooms were about 2 weeks late this year? My brothers have been finding quite a few.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    It's kind of a regional weather condition thing that can be measured in 50 mile or less increments. You know it will rain here, but a mile away it's dry. The ones I found this year due to our earlier wet conditions were the smaller "black" morels like these. Small, but still tasty and found before they take on the darker color.
    IMG_2312.jpg

BTW since I have the great fortune of having morels growing on my property I can watch them progress and I've found that once they are up that's it - no more growth and all they do is start to dry out. I've tented several for days over the years to keep squirrels and other wild life from eating them to see if I can harvest "pounds" - Nope, what you find is what you get!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Hayhonker.....don't fret...look up under the kitchen sink in a wet moldy place or maybe in your old boots that have been sitting in the rain for 2 years and maybe you can find you some shrooms

coming to ya from the "MHA" mushroom haters of America
    established 1776
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Hey Mike,
    Those look great! We had a batch for dinner last night. Found em 10 feet from our front door! We have lived here for 15 years and have never seen them there before now.