Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Blackening Seasoning

Options
Lady Q'r
Lady Q'r Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DavidR, my husband and personal chef extraordinaire, did bacon-wrapped shrimp on the Egg last weekend. We did several small batches to find the right mix of temp and time. We ended up being stuffed on 2 lbs. of shrimp by the end of the night. All I can say is that they were absolutely freakin' AWESOME![p]I pre-nuke about 1 lb. of bacon for about 5 minutes on 50% power. He butterflied the shrimp first and slipped in a jalapeno sliver and Jack cheese stick into each shrimp. We then wrapped one slice of bacon around each shrimp and secured with toothpicks. Sprinkled with Paul Prudhome's Blackened Redfish Seasoning. Put them in a fish basket for ease of turning the whole batch at once. [p]We found that cooking on the Egg at 400 degrees for 5 minutes per side yielded the best cooked bacon, crispy and crunchy, and just-right shrimp, not rubbery. Dip the shrimp morsel in melted butter with a dash of lime juice. Have lots of napkins around for wiping off your chin. :-)[p]So, so, good. Everything he cooks on our Eggs is wonderful. [p]P.S. He's finally mastered brisket, too. Here in Texas, that's a rite of male passage.

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Lady Q'r,
    Those little things are so great! Next time however, don't feel compelled to pre-nuke the bacon. I don't and the bacon cooks just fine. Also, I roll mine in seasoned bread crumbs, of course with a very healthy mix of cayenne! And try putting them on little wooden skewers and flip that way rather than a basket!

• Lady Q'r
    Lady Q'r Posts: 3
    Options
    Shelby,[p]We've tried the skewers but the shrimp sometimes rotate and it takes time to flip each skewer. When we use a basket, we open the Egg, quickly flip the basket, and then close the lid. Not too much heat loss this way. [p]We've also tried using fresh-from-the-package bacon but found the bacon didn't get crispy enough for our taste by the time the shrimp was done.[p]I'll have to give the bread crumbs a try next time. Do you use any sort of liquid to moisten them so the crumbs stick?[p]