Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why bother???

madmike
madmike Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking steak or pork chop what is the benefits of throwing it right on the coals??I gotten a good sear from the grill :) Just wondering. ;)

tanx mike

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I can't wait to try it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    The closer the meat is to the lump the harder and faster sear. One also doesn’t have to get the dome thermometer up to nuclear temps. There is also no need for a cool down period between sear and roast.

Searing direct on the coals does a great job, not as pretty as a CI grid. Fajitas are fantastic when the chicken / beef is coal seared.

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I suppose one could ask why bother with a grid? :-)

The reason AB gave for doing this is that (IIRC) this prevents the fat from dripping onto the fire and producing flameups.
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i dont do it with steaks, but the char on lamb is incredible, probably because of the reason naked whiz posted, lamb grease not good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • madmike
    I get it :woohoo: tanx ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    also, get someone to buy you a big expensive leg of lamb and while they are watching, just throw it in and then with a worried look say "aw frig, i forgot the grill"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • madmike
    lol.gifthat's funny as helllol.gif
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    It saves unnecessary wear and tear on the grid.

Spring "Unnecessarily Worn And Torn" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • madmike
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    It saves unnecessary wear and tear on the grid.

Spring "Unnecessarily Worn And Torn" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

U R kiddin'right :huh:
  • GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    The "WOW" factor. Can you imagine several buddies standing around your egg drinking a beer or two. You come out with some nice steaks on a tray all spiced up and plop them right on the coals. I guarantee it will be the topic of conversation for the rest of the evening. It also chars them faster and doesn't cook them internally as much as on the grid. You can have a truely med. rare or rare steak with a good char.

Have some fun with it!
  • 1/2 Chicken
    1/2 Chicken Posts: 58
    Warning!!! I tried it once with a BIG, expensive rib eye… it was a frigging DISASTER and tasted in my wife’s words “like an ashtray”:angry: Good luck with yours!
  • madmike
    Yep that would really grosse the wifey out :S

tanx for sharing
  • Yeah. You have to make sure you're using really good lump AND that you "clean" the top of the fire really well before tossin' the meat on. Otherwise, you get a little ash and grit.

Cowboy Lump is my lump of choice for just about all of my cooking because it burns REALLY clean, doesn't impart too much of a smoky flavor on its own, and it's made of scrap hardwood from flooring and carpentry. It's both clean AND green! :lol:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    For a long time I have used searing directly on the coals.

I have mostly used BGE/Royal Oal (USA). I make sure I have lava looking lump then put the meat on the coals. Once in a great while a small piece will stick to the meat when turning. It comes right off and no residue. There is very little ash if any as the lump imparts very little ash.

For me it is a geat way to sear expecailly when I don't want to clean a searing pan. I very seldom take my egg over 500°

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    As stated stir the coals right before you chunk it on to knock down the ash. My wife is nuts about sanitation and such but she loves "caveman"!