Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard, can anyone tell my why you use it?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read that it has no affect on the flavor/taste of the the meat. I find that hard to believe. I have also read that it helps to tenderize your meat. What exactly does it do? [p]Omaha Mark[p]

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Omaha Mark,[p]Well... the theory is that the acids in the mustard break down and tenderize the meat. Also the mustard is thick enough that it holds the rub in place pretty good. I think it may also help to draw the rub into the surface of the meat. Don't know for sure. As far as the meat not tasting like mustard, I was skeptical too. I don't know how or why, but the mustard taste definitely disappears! It may add a flavor element to the meat, but it's not a mustard flavor.[p]Give it a try. Put mustard on, say, one rack of ribs, and leave the rest without mustard. Season all the ribs as you normally would. Let 'em rest overnight then cook 'em all for the same time in the same environment and do a comparison.[p]I do most of my ribs and most of my butts with a mustard rub, and I haven't had a complaint yet.[p]--Kevin

• Unknown
    Options
    Omaha Mark,
    I asked this before and was told that if there is any tenderizing going on it is from the vinegar. I do know that you cannot taste the mustard in a finished product and that it does hold a rub place pretty darn good. [p]Maybe this is just one of those mysteries of the world like what new color M&M will come out with next.[p]Beer thirty?
    South Omaha

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    South O,
    It's purple.....just heard it yesterday.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Omaha Mark,[p]The main function of using mustard in a rub is to help create a crust.[p]Spin
  • Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Options
    Omaha Mark,
    Mustard adds something to the flavor. Recently my wife and I had a "mustard week". Every evening meal that week was made from a recipe that included mustard. Not all of them were Egg meals, some we cooked in the oven (horrors) but all meals were very good. [p]I'm not sure what the mustard adds, but it's good.
    Harry

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    Omaha Mark,[p]What Ca_rnivore said - do a rack with and another without. I was also skeptical (the wife giving me the evil eye the first time I used it!) but had to try it. I have used it many times since.[p]Just did 3 racks of Baby Backs this past Wed. Light coating of CharCrust Hickory & Molasses rub, light coating of the expensive yellow mustard (French's) - just dabbed on so as to not wipe off the rub. Finished with another light dusting of CharCrust rub. Cooked indirect @ 250 for about 2 hours, then direct for another hour.[p]Talk about a feeding frenzy. Keep the fingers away from the kids! The wife has dropped the hint that some more ribs, "like you made the other day" would be ok for a menu choice on Sat or Sun."[p]Try it. Also great on butts and other roasts and no, I am not under contract to French's Mustard![p]By the way, prior to joining / retiring from the USAF, I could have been known as Sioux City Mark![p]Happy Egg'n,[p]LVM

• Unknown
    Options
    Harry,[p]Why did you do that?[p]Lee

• Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Options
    QSis,
    We had tried a couple of different recipes that included mustard and we just thought we'd give it a try for a week. We had something different each night - beef, pork, poultry, fish, etc.[p]It actually turned out quite well - only one we won't try again. Our kids, all grown up, got quite a kick out of it. We had a good time picking out the recipes and cooking them. We'll probably do it again some time, maybe with some ingredient other than mustard.[p]Harry

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Omaha Mark,
    I grilled four beautiful 13/4" filets last night on my large BGE and added mustard to my usual dry seasonings just prior to putting them on the egg. My wife and parents (we were celebrating their 54th anniversary) were more than a little skeptical, but in the two short weeks that I have been frequenting this site, I already knew that I could trust the advise found here. I cooked them 3-3-3 at 600 degrees and they were fabulous med. rare steaks - better than anything you can get in a restaurant. I added four or five larger chuncks of hickory to the fire just prior to putting on the steak. The hickory (or other wood if you prefer) will burn like the charcoal during the hot searing, but when you shut down the cooker for the dwell the smoke gets very think inside the lid and you get this very delicious hint of smoke flavor in the meat - it is "to die for", IMHO! If I were to do anything differently, I think I would run the temp up to 700 degrees for a little more searing and use 2-2-3 instead of 3-3-3.