Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 pulled porks at once

Options
Berky
Berky Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all. I have done a few pulled porks and I know they take roughly 20 hours for a nice 7-9 pounder. I have a bunch of people coming over on the weekend and I am going to need to do 2 7 pounders. Will this significantly affect how long the cooking process takes? Half of me says no because they are separate chunks o'pork, the other half of me says it will take longer just because. I need someone to break the tie please. Thanks
Berky

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Berky,
    I faced the same dilemma last weekend. I had two 8 pounders that I put on at 8:00 p.m. Friday night and pulled off when they hit 200 degrees at around 1:30 Saturday afternoon. I maintained a consistent dome temperature of 250 degrees and wrapped them in foil for the last 6 hours of cooking. I let them cool in the foil for about an hour after pulling them out of the egg and they were c'est magnifique! Counting the cooling off period, that's 18 1/2 hours. Good luck!!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Berky,
    We always do two at a time, and it never takes any longer than just one. Just make sure there is some sepatation between the two and you should be fine.

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Berky,[p]Nikkig's suggestion about keeping the butts seperated is right on. You may also want to monitor the temps in each butt seperately. I have 2 polder type thermometers and that really helps out. Depending on the amount of fat and collagen, one may finish sooner than the other. You don't want to risk drying out one while waiting for the other. when checking for doneness, just be sure to check both and pull one off of the fire if done sooner. [p]--Kevin

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Ca_rnivore,
    Good advice. I had never even thought about one getting done sooner than the other. With all the recent talk about Turbo Butts, there's no way of knowing if one might be a Turbo Butt and the other a slow butt. Guess I'm gonna have to buy another thermometer before the next pull.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />Berky,[p]Great advise below, my only other suggestion would be to do three. You can't beat the leftovers.[p]Chuck