Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Help

Options
nikkig
nikkig Posts: 514
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on doing some catfish filets tonight for dinner. I have never done fish on the egg, other slow smoking a big ol hunk of salmon. I have a fish grid. What temps should I cook these catfish filets, and approx how long? Thanks!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    nikkig,[p]I like to cook catfish fillets about 325-350 direct. Depending ont he thickness you can probably expect about 4-5 minutes a side. Be careful flipping it as when it starts to get done it gets crumbly. Dont over do it, when its flakey its done. The thinner they are obvioulsy the quicker it will cook so keep an eye on it.[p]How do you plan on preparing them, marinades, rubs etc?[p]Troy
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    nikkig,[p]If you folks like Cajun cooking, a hot Egg will do a nice rendition of "blackened" catfish that will rival using the old cast iron skillet/cajun burner ritual and without all the smoke.
    If interested, I'll provide the simple details.[p]
    K~G

• nikkig
    Options
    KennyG,
    I love Cajun. Never tried blackened catfish, but it does sound good. I'm definately interested!

• nikkig
    Options
    sprinter,
    Thanks for the info.
    I haven't really decided on seasoning yet. I was thinking either garlic and herb seasoning, or seasoning them with Butt Rubb. Depends on which mood hits me at dinner time.

• nikkig
    Options
    The injecting response down below for the ham reminded me....I have some Lemon-Butter Garlic injector marinade I might use. That one is sounding real good and will most likely win out, unless something better comes along.
  • sprinter
    Options
    KennyG,[p]I thought smoke, LOTS of smoke, was part of the mystery of doing good blackened fish? Thats what I tell all of my friends anyway.[p]I've done it on the egg before also, I used my trusty cast iron skillet though. How do you do it without that or what do you use as a pan?[p]We had a party a couple of weekends ago and I blackened some King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Cobia, and some Red Snapper. Blackened Cobia is hard to beat but those King Steaks that were blackened were running a close second. I think all the oil in that fish makes a difference. ALL of it was good but the cobia, in my opinion, was the best of the batch.[p]Troy
  • KennyG
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Great, I'll bet you'll enjoy this one.[p]Get yourself a good cajun spice blend (Joe's stuff, cajun dust, Tony Chacerys (sp?) etc.) Better yet, go out to the www.foodtv.com site and print the recipe for "essence of Emeril", blend it up yourself.[p]Coat the filets with melted butter (most flavor and guilt) or a combination of butter and extra virgin Olive Oil. Sprinkle as heavy as you dare with the cajun mix. Emeril's is quite nippy, so be careful.[p]Grill on a 650-700* Egg with enough lump to actually have the flames kiss the fish filets.[p]Supermarket variety catfish tend to be small and thin. For these, try 1+ minutes per side. The big thick filets (Sam's club and the like) will need 2 minutes per side. You should end up with with a crisp blackened outside and very tender inside filets. I also have the cast iron skillet and high intensity gas burner and have done these both ways. We prefer the Egged variety.[p]Enjoy![p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    KennyG,
    Those are good...I'm in the office now.
    Larry

• Unknown
    Options
    Do it just like this cast iron steak recipe http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/beef/scott-mustard01.htm but with a small amount of oil that can take a high temp and some blackening seasoning. Use peanut oil or maybe corn oil not olive oil. I also use mesquite chips and close it up for a few minutes to give it the smoke flavor.
  • KennyG
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I cook the filets right on the grid. A large spatula is the key to being able to flip at the halfway point as you know.[p]Do I ever wish I had access to the fine seafood you referenced in your post!!![p]K~G

• sprinter
    Options
    KennyG,[p]My parents have a fishing boat in Panama City, FL during the winter and spring months. During the summer they move the boat up the Tennessee Tom Bigby water way to the Tennessee River and Kentucky Lake. They just arrived in KY on Wednesday in fact, took them about 5 days to make the trip.[p]During the fall and spring we do a LOT of fishing on the Gulf catching all sorts of whatnot and drinking a little beer along the way. This year was not too good but we did end up with some good fish in the freezer for the summer months. Frozen fish doesnt last long at all so we end up cooking a LOT of fish during the summer so it doesnt go to waste. Last summer we caught a 98 Pound Cobia, it was the second largest caught that season in Panama City last I heard, had pictures in the paper and everything. What a fish and GOOD eats. I could probably get all of this fish shipped in fresh and pay $30/pound and still come out WAY ahead. By the time you figure in gas, boat cost, maintenance cost, dock space etc. etc. etc. etc. ad nausium we figure our fish costs us about $1,500 a pound. Its fun though and we wouldnt do it if we didnt love being on the water.[p]Troy
  • nikkig
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thanks..that sounds really good. I have two different cajun seasonings, Tony Chachere's and Cajun Shake made by the Cajun Injector people. Maybe I'll do two of each.

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Catfish form Costco is one of my favorites. Do it at least once a month.[p]Lime juice on one side, lemon juice on the other..... Tony Chacerie's spice on both sides and liberal coating of extra virgin olive oil on both sides.[p]Into the fridge for 1 to 3 hours, then into a fish basket with detachable handle. On the egg at 200° with a fruit wood and smoke heavily for 20 minutes to a half hour. Then Mr. Egg to 350° to 400° for two minutes per side. Check for done (if not turn over for another minute).....[p]My way.. Catfish and Salmon are my two favorites
  • KennyG
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I envy you, my friend! Fresh and exotic seafood is simply not available to the consumer here in North East Ohio. If we happen to pick the right restaurant on the right night, there might be something to celebrate (Cobia is a favorite BTW). Otherwise the North Coast can't provide much else than bass, perch and walleye from Lake Erie and at steak prices. [p]15 years of business travel and dining at influential restaurants at the company's expense have spoiled me.[p]Even though the cost may seem prohibitive, I'd love to join you on your next fishing trip!![p]
    K~G

• nikkig
    Options
    KennyG,
    You think you have it bad...try coming to West Virginia! We don't even get the Lake Erie stuff. And we don't even have a butcher anywhere nearby. Just regular ol store bought meats for me.

• Unknown
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Better check.[p]If you can't get beer you may be in hell.

• KennyG
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Where abouts in West VA? If you ever find yourself in Greater Cleveland, I can provide some great sources for beef and lump charcoal.[p]K~G

• nikkig
    Options
    KennyG,
    I'm in Vienna, just on the other side from Marietta, OH. We go to Cleveland about once a year, but not to visit. We go do the Heaven's Train with our Church. If I am ever up that way to visit, I'll let you know. If you're ever down this way, let us know, we'd be happy to have ya over.