Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Delivers Next Week

Options
FlaParrotHead
FlaParrotHead Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK - after lurking on the site and the forum on and off over the past year. I went out today and bought a large BGE - now the wait for delivery next week and the important decision of what to break it in with . . . Something simple (and inexpensive) such as burgers or something bigger and better. Then of course the other decision of what to do over the upcoming holiday weekend for guests . . . decisions, decision.[p]BTW - other than the old falling apart gas grill that needed to be replaced (eventually) - since I was also out of gas - the decision was easy.

Comments

• Roy Fraser
    Roy Fraser Posts: 32
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Just cooked on mine for first time the other night. I did some ribeyes and they were great. Fixin to go home and do some burgers tonight. Break it in right. Fix a plenty and eat a plenty. Good luck. Pigtail

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    You won't be disappointed in your decision. I am 43 and have been cooking on an egg (back then Komado)since I was 18.[p]Try something simple your first time out. Start you grill and a hot fire going 350 to 400. Take some burgers and fire them 3 minutes on each side. After 3 minutes on the second side close the top and bottom vents completely. Finish cooking to how you like your meat done. Even well done will still be juicy. This also works well with steak. Good luck and happy cooking.

• Unknown
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Congrats. I bought a large green egg monday and it should be here tommorrow. I can't wait. Although my first outing with it will be a pork shoulder. Happy cooking.

• Unknown
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,[p]Congrats on the new addition to the family! You will not be disappointed. However, BEWARE OF THE IMFAMOUS FLASHBACK. If you do a high temp cook with a dwell, remember to open up BOTH vents, wait 30 seconds or so, then burp the egg (opening the egg slightly, for a few seconds) before opening the dome all the way. The link below goes to The Naked Whiz's website which has a video showing a flashback......it's a must see.[p]LNS
    [ul][li]Flashbacks[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Congrats on the purchase. As far as your question goes about what to cook first, do the spatchcock (sp) thing. Simple, tastes great and is inexpensive. Just remember to burp the egg to prevent flashback and to start shutting down the vents (not completely) about 50 degrees before you hit your target temperature. Heating the egg up is easy, cooling it down takes many, many beers.[p]If you don't want to do the chicken, treat yourself to a steak. There is a thread a little farther down with people comments on which is best and how to prepare them.[p]Good lock and let us know how it comes out.[p]Matt.

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Glad to have another ParrotHead aboard. You are going to love cooking on the Egg. I think that the most difficult thing in learning to cook on it is that it is not difficult at all! Just a bit different. I have had great luck with spatchcocked chicken in getting used to cooking on the Egg. You will get all the help you need from this Forum; the information is great.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Welcome to the egg family...You will have a blast...Tonight were cooking baked onions, porterhouse steaks, Augusta's favorite salad and a bottle of Yellow Tail.
    Larry

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    YB,[p]What time should we be over? As a semi-professional wine taster, I feel compelled to insure that your Yellow Tail is, in fact, appropriate for the feast you have described.[p]K~G
    "why don't we get drunk and cook?"

• YB
    Options
    KennyG,
    Man I wish you and Carol were here...I would cook a big pot of stew for you guys...Guess what kind hehehe.
    Larry

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    YB,[p]As I remember, Yellow Tail Chiraz goes well with bushy tailed tree rat stew. Whadya think?[p]K

• YB
    Options
    KennyG,
    Man do you know your wines.
    Larry

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    YB,
    Honey amber in the fermentation tank today.

• FlaParrotHead
    Options
    YB,[p]I guess we all think alike - - We found Yellow Tail last year and can not get enough. . . [p]Bill

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Is it the Florida weather or what?! ;) my 'other' grills just didn't have a chance.
    WELCOME!!
    I would think seriously about the butterflied 'spatscocked' (sp) oops ;)
    chicken..good stuff. then head on to... steak, ribs, seafood, pizza...
    and have a blast doing it!
    Enjoy!
    BBQBeth

• YB
    Options
    JJ,
    Sounds Great!
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    We first had Yellow Tail last Octomber at the fall festival of houses and gardens in Beauford SC.One of the houses on the tour was serving mesquite smoked chicken and corn gumpo with french bread and Yellow Tail.For the price it's a great wine.
    Larry

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    OK, my absolute number one vote would be for a pork tenderloin. You need to us a drip pan and a V-Rack. There are many recipes in the Recipe section of this web site or on Tim's or GFW's web sites. Its hard to mess up and everyone will think you a BBQ Master. Also, it just get you temp stable and chunk in the meat and about an hour later your in business. email me if you need any more info.
    Good luck and welcome to the club. Bob.

• FlaParrotHead
    Options
    Put the old Charmglow out for the trash pickup this morning (without the tank) and they took it! ! ! What a sight to see the thing being turned into scrap when they crushed it - - reminded Bunny of Clark Griswald's car in N'Lampoon's Vacation. [p]Hey it gave a good 10+ years of service - - now for the 7 day count down for the BGE to be delivered.[p]-B and -B