Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table FINALLY Done - Thanks Whiz

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, thanks to the Naked Whiz for all his shared Whizdom, without which I would have never been able to do this. I've never even tried anything like this before, and without all the pictures, plans (the plans were really good) and advice I would not have even attempted this.

It's been close to a month since I started on this beast. I now have a pretty nice Egg table to show for it, if I do say so myself. I also have a new table saw and various other tools and gizmos that I had never owned before. I also have a wife, who on more than one occasion has threatened to "spatchcock" me for all the money and time spent on the project. I regarded that as a positive development since it shows she too is taking an interest in learning about Egg related things. . .

Ok, as far as the table goes - pretty much followed the Whiz's plans without straying. My biggest mistake was choosing the wrong dimensions for the height btw. the lower and upper deck. I have some issues with clearance on the hinge/spring mechanism when the lid is open, but I can solve that. The wood is cypress. I used spar urethane, no stain. In retrospect I might've used a stain to better mask the putty where I filled in the screw holes, but it's not that big of deal. Overall, I'm very happy with the way the wood looks.

On the upper deck, I have a 18x18 square of tile straight out of Home Depot. On the lower deck, I found it was very difficult to find anything pre-cut to the 18x24 dimensions of that space. I stopped in to a tile and flooring shop, showed them what I was doing and the dude said "I've got just the thing for you." He came back with this beautiful square of black granite countertop material. He told me it was mine, NO CHARGE, but that they were not able to cut it. I went from place to place with no success looking for someone who would cut. Finally found a place and they charged me WAY TOO MUCH. But now that it's in there I like it. Will probably still add some hooks to hang tools and a bottle opener. But for all practical purposes I am finally DONE! I have 3 really nice slabs of baby backs that have been rubbed and fridged overnight. Aside from some quick burgers I did last night, it will be my inaugural cook with the new table.

Here are the pics:
DSC_0117.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg
DSC_0126.jpg

Comments