Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Heated Egg?

Options
bobktat0001
bobktat0001 Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The guy at my bbq store told me that the eggcelerator could get the BGE up 1500 degrees!! :evil: Has anyone ever super-heated the egg this way or another? Thanks!

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    The highest I've heard is 1100. That was becaues the guy loaded the egg all the way up lit it and left it, thinking it would take a long time to get it up to temp. Needless to say he sealed his gaskets shut, and the dealer had to come out to pry it open and replace the gaskets.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    danger will robinson. someone , maybe rtd, has posted that...at temps that high the bands loosen and there is danger of losing top. i would exercise caution and post again on this topic when the 'knowledgeable ones' return from waldorf and sober up. my 2 cents. and how come there is no 'cents' [c with line ] key on computers ?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'm sure you could do it. Then I have to ask. Why would you want to????????
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I agree with Bill, You are asking for a disaster is you go that high I think. The band will expand and the dome will loosen up. You don't want to have that come loose at those temps. You should exercise alot of caution. ;) Like Mike has said, why would you want to go that high anyways? :silly:
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    That has befuddled me also!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I concur Mike. I have no idea how hot it was, but I've seen my large wrap back around to the 100* mark - a cleaning burn that I left wide open while we ate.

I've done some serious high temp pizzas too.

No idea how hot it has been, but I have pretty much come to the realization that 700-750 is plenty hot for just about anything.

The eggcelerator is designed to get the egg up to temp quicker, but I don't think it would make it get much hotter - just to terminal temp faster. Lump only gets so hot.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I had the band loosen on me doing a multiple pizza cook bill. Not enough to let the dome slip, but I could feel it.

And that is my 2¢ worth

(ALT+0162) makes the cents symbol. ;)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks rod,
    i am a simple guy and things like that just make me happy. where do i look for such info or is it a computer tech thing?
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    I agree with the others. Why would you want to take an egg to 1500 degrees? As far as what is possible, I have done some blacksmithing in the past and you can use lump charcoal in a forge and with the correct amount of air easily bring iron to 1500 - 1900 degrees (think bright orange to yellow). I believe it is possible to forge weld (2500 +) with lump, but have only done so with coal or propane. One of the keys to high temperatures with lump or coal is having enough airflow. I am sure if you hooked a big enough blower to an egg you could make it look like a jet engine, but again why would you want to. You will notice that the eggcellerator and the guru both have relatively small fans. I expect one reason is safety and the other is that temps that high are simply not needed. I agree with Fidel, 700-750 is pretty much hot enough for me.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TC
  • Fidel
    Options
    It is kind of a computer tech thing, but there is an application in windows called "character map" It is usually located in the system tools menu.

In there are hundreds of non-common symbols and foreign language letters to copy and paste. If you select one it also will give you the ALT+ combination to enter the symbol.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks to fidel and rrp for showing me how to put in my 2¢ when it feels like 46° here in south eastern PA. i have such a ¥ [yen] to be computer literate . back to the adult beverages
    thanks
    bill
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Also Alt + 155

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I sear meat on the coals often. When you see the lava look (bright orange) I have measured that temp at 1180° on my large. I used Royal Oak, BGE (same thing) and Cowboy.

That is with natural air flow.

With that said, since my first firing of the large and wanting to to TRex, which sealed my egg and burned the gasket, I have not taken the dome temp above 650° and that is only to clean out the egg.

I agree with the above posts there is no reason for such high temps on the egg and those folks doing so are just asking for troublem, IMHO.

GG
  • Fidel
    Options
    Yea, but that one doesn't have the nifty little slant :unsure:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lets see '0162' = ¢ now '155' ¢ / ¢¢

On my screen they look the same to me.

GG

Post edit...

Now after posting this and looking at this it seems if I have the style set to Times or Ariel the vertical line is slanted. If looking with font set to veranda the slant is vertical, on my screen anyway.

However, both are the same in each font change.

GG
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I agree with everyone there is no need on planet earth to run the egg up to maximum heat. It will damage your gasket and you really risk flashback when you open your egg.