Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-cook ABTs?

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend wants to server ABTs on a fishing trip but doesn't want to spend a lot of time cooking them. He's wondering if ABTs can be fully or partial cooked ahead of time and heated/finished later. Anyone done this? How did they turn out?

I never tried this and I can't imagine cooking ABTs and not eating them right away!

I told him to invite me fishing and I'll do the cooking!

Cheers,

BeerMike
I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    I've reheated leftover ABTs by taking them out of the fridge and letting them get near room temp and then heating them in the oven at 250-300 until they are warm -- not at good as right off the grill but not bad.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Personally, I think you would be defeating the whole idea of ABT's - to cook and eat them hot off theh Egg. Anything other than that just makes them "stuff."

But if I wanted the absolutely goodness of ABT's on a fishing trip I would invest in a Mini Egg and cook them on site. Otherwise, I would do like Eggheads have done for 3,000 years - wait 'til I got home.

Spring "Don't Be Mess'n With ABT's" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    To answer your basic question every time I make ABTs I am making them for later consumption. I completely cook them and then after cool store in Tupperware in the refrig. Then daily I nuke one or two back to life. I've had them keep for 3 weeks this way. With that said my method won't work on a fishing trip, but I don't see why you couldn't rewarm them in a covered skillet on a camp fire.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    What size vessel will you be on (perhaps one with a microwave)? I've nuked leftovers and thought they were pretty good. Otherwise you might bring them along in a Corning travel dish that incorporates a pouch that you nuke to keep things hot. Being on the water does wonders for one's appetite so I doubt you'll have any critics!! Happy fishin'! 8 - )
  • Unknown
    Options
    what is a good receipe for ABT's