Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pre-cook ABTs?

BeerMikeBeerMike Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend wants to server ABTs on a fishing trip but doesn't want to spend a lot of time cooking them. He's wondering if ABTs can be fully or partial cooked ahead of time and heated/finished later. Anyone done this? How did they turn out?

I never tried this and I can't imagine cooking ABTs and not eating them right away!

I told him to invite me fishing and I'll do the cooking!

Cheers,

BeerMike

Comments

• KCKC Posts: 91
    I've reheated leftover ABTs by taking them out of the fridge and letting them get near room temp and then heating them in the oven at 250-300 until they are warm -- not at good as right off the grill but not bad.
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,419
    Personally, I think you would be defeating the whole idea of ABT's - to cook and eat them hot off theh Egg. Anything other than that just makes them "stuff."

But if I wanted the absolutely goodness of ABT's on a fishing trip I would invest in a Mini Egg and cook them on site. Otherwise, I would do like Eggheads have done for 3,000 years - wait 'til I got home.

Spring "Don't Be Mess'n With ABT's" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRPRRP Posts: 12,074
    To answer your basic question every time I make ABTs I am making them for later consumption. I completely cook them and then after cool store in Tupperware in the refrig. Then daily I nuke one or two back to life. I've had them keep for 3 weeks this way. With that said my method won't work on a fishing trip, but I don't see why you couldn't rewarm them in a covered skillet on a camp fire.

• RascalRascal Posts: 3,346
    What size vessel will you be on (perhaps one with a microwave)? I've nuked leftovers and thought they were pretty good. Otherwise you might bring them along in a Corning travel dish that incorporates a pouch that you nuke to keep things hot. Being on the water does wonders for one's appetite so I doubt you'll have any critics!! Happy fishin'! 8 - )