Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about buying

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]I am in the market for a new barbecue. The BGE is definitely one of my options. Can you help sway me ...[p]Looking for both Pros and Cons.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    tonyp,[p]Common question (request) here on the site. Its easy to answer.[p]1. GREAT FLAVOR
    2. VERY versitile (180 - 800 degrees)
    3. Easy to use
    4. Very forgiving
    5. Did I say great tasting food
    6. fun
    7. Become the envy of all your friends

• lizzard333
    lizzard333 Posts: 19
    Options
    tonyp,
    We used our new egg for the first time on Sunday and were honestly amazed at how good the pork roast turned out. It took longer than expected as we are getting used to cooking on the egg. My husband and I are VERY happy with the egg just after one roast!

• lizzard333
    lizzard333 Posts: 19
    Options
    Smokey,
    Oh, and it looks really cool (how could you forget that?!). Did you mention food tastes great!

• Unknown
    Options
    tonyp,[p]This Forum alone is enough to buy a Big Green Egg, but since you have already visited the Forum I will focus more on the Egg itself.[p]First of all, a Big Green Egg is a lifetime "investment" which will pay great dividends time and time again. It actually gets better as it ages and you develope your skills. It is not a fair-weather friend so you can use it year round in every type of weather. It is cost efficient because it uses just the amount of lump charcoal it needs to do the job and saves the rest for the next cook. It maximizes the time/temperature equation better than any other cooker. It will cook a wide range of foods including fish, meats, vegitables and even fruit, all with ease and uncany predictabliity. It is backed by a lifetime warranty by a company that understands the importance of customer service. It only requires a few simple accessories to make the experience even more enjoyable. It lends itself to experimentation and creativity. Finally, it is forgiving when you screw up. I'm sure there are more pros which will most certainly be posted by others.[p]The cons... It's heavy.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Spring Chickien,
    You are so right; even if I hated my Egg (which we adore), I would not admit it, because of the Forum. I cannot pass by my baputer (granddaughter's pronunciation) without checking to see what is new with all the great people who contribute!

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    tonyp,
    Con -- even the large egg isn't big enough to BBQ a whole hog!
    Fireball[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chickien,[p]Let me help you with a few more "cons":[p]- Dangerous back flashes (see below)that a lot of people find out about AFTER they've bought the thing
    - They are breakable and posters frequently write about things breaking
    - Expensive
    - Limited cooking space
    - Limited portability[p]Lee[p][p]

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    QSis,
    True, but those cons also apply to the better gas grills and "choo-Choo" smokers. [p]SC

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    QSis,[p]Do you offer these gems to the forum based on your personal ownership experience? [p]K~G

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    QSis,[p]I must respectfully dissent, just a little. Eggs don't break very often. If they tip over, yes. [Make sure they don't!] And if the band gets loose, then maybe. But you have to check the band periodically. [p]It'd be nice if the band were foolproof, but it's not. I don't see this as a major problem, though.

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    tonyp,[p]Asking a question like that, here, is kinda like going to a revival and asking everyone if they've found Jesus -- grin![p]Seriously, I think the pros and cons already listed are pretty valid, although I think QSis exagerates a might. (And, yes, I'm one of the guys who's participating in the flash back discussion below. If you watch the BGE video and/or RTFM you'll see that topic is covered. We're just reminding people to be safe.)[p]One thing you might want to keep in mind though is the BGE is designed to work best using lump charcoal. If you think that it might be tough to get lump in your area, or if you mind driving a ways to get it... Well, you know.[p]All I can tell you is that I've owned many different rigs and I don't for one second regret getting an Egg. I'm not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed but if I can turn out good BBQ on an Egg, anyone can.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Unknown
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Given my post, what do you think? [p]What continues to amaze me is that I read about the Egg's "gems" from the keyboards of it's owners on this board, yet those gems aren't offered when there is an innocent prospective buyer.[p]Lee[p]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    QSis,[p]What continues to amaze me is the obsessive critical generalizations some folks from the bbqforum continually make about this forum, the bge and the people who use them.[p]John

[ul][li]qforum[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Generally, you guys are great entertainment.[p]Lee

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    QSis,[p]Aw. shucks Lee, I was just poking a little fun at ya.
    I also own a couple of those popular, brand name, "kettle" style cookers and smokers which are less expensive. The kettle has left me with a permanent case of Weber rash on my left forarm when I once brushed against it for maybe a millisecond while grilling. Not recommended around children.[p]The WSM was sitting in the driveway one day while cleaning out the garage. Yup, it's lighter and more portable. While playing catch with a football, an errant pass by the neighbors visitors knocked it over. Nothing broke but now it's horribly out of round and won't hold smoke. Maybe heft is not so bad.[p]K~G

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    QSis,[p]...and generally like good Q, beer and fun... uh, kinda like you guys.[p]A cold one to you.[p]J[p][p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    KennyG,[p]LOL! Uncle![p]Lee

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    tonyp,
    If you get a BGE, you will be doing a lot more cooking out than you have been - they are just irrisistable! (Well, the food that they cook is, anyway!) This could be a "pro" or a "con" - depends upon how you look at it.[p]I was in a similar position to you a few weeks ago. I was going to replace my gas grill with a new one, but when I saw the BGE, and the enthusiasm the salesman had for it, I was hooked. Have not looked back. It is a very good investment.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    tonyp,
    lots of pros and little or any cons. Buy the BGE Large, and you'll never regret it. Forget the rest, and buy the best. Price may be a factor, but you get what you pay for.
    Hammer