Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II Question

Options
KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to begin my first overnight cook on a large BGR using the DigiQ II and I need some help.
How do you set the top vent daisy wheel? Full open? Half Open or what?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    If your doing a low and slow the daisy wheel should barely be open similar to the air intake on the bottom.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    For use with the DigiQ..once I get a good fire going no matter what temp I plan to cook at, I close the daisy wheel to about 1/8" open...the digi blower will force enough air thru to keep your temp and you'll use less lump ;)
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the help... Now to get 'er going and have a good night's sleep with a 10# butt smoking away...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Slider Shut of course.

On my q2 with the 10cmf fan I close the vent of the fan to 1/3 and once in a while 1/2.

Let us know how it turns out.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Slider Shut of course.

On my q2 with the 10cmf fan I close the vent of the fan to 1/3 and once in a while 1/2.

Let us know how it turns out.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Once it gets up to temp it takes little fan or vent to keep it stable. As others said about 1/8 on pedels and about 1/4 on damper. With a full load of lump and stable I like about 20% fan run time. Blinks on display will tell you that. Two blinks then a pause = 20%
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I set mine with the petals fully open, which is a lot different than what I'd do if I had to keep the temps adjusted manually. I suppose that I'll try with that setting this weekend (using just a crack on the petals)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike,

I used to set my q2 with petels at 1/2 for 250°-300° and full open at 300° to 400° pit temp at grate level.

AZRP made a comment a couple of weeks ago talking about the q2 power vent being also open and he said, if I recall correctly, he almost closes the petals so the fan will force the air through the top vent. I don't recall how wide AZRP said he left the top vent open.

I would on occasion have a pit over temp condition with the q2 and I really couldn't figure out why. The next time I have a day time L&S I am going to try the 1/8" open of the petels. I am also thinking of trying fully closed.

I have a 10cfm on the q2 and usually leave the fan slider at 1/3 to 1/2 open.

The Stoker fan has a gravity damper, when the fan quits, the air damper closes, or is supposed to close thus halting all airflow into the fire box.

Kent
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    I have only used my Digi Q II 6 times and have had the daisy wheel closed. I am not sure if that means the fan is blowing more or not. While all has gone well, I note there are many responses indicating the daisy wheel is partially open. Guess I will give it a try next time.