Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or Extra Large

SteveInMC
SteveInMC Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. I am going to purchase an Egg soon! I am struggling with the decision to purchase the Large (which is probably the size I really need) or the Extra Large (the size I probably wish I had 2 or 3 times a year). Can someone help me make the right decision so I don't hate myself later on? Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• TXGDS
    TXGDS Posts: 3
    Had to make the same decision myself earlier in the year, and I decided on a large. I've used it every weekend, and I have never had the need for an XL. I was tempted by the XL, but I am glad I decided on a large. Either way you'll love it.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Keep in mind that many Eggheads eventually want and usually get a second or even a third Egg. I have a large (my first one), a small (bought to travel with but don't), and a mini (which is great for fast meals for one or two).

If I had it to do over I think I'd get two larges and a mini. That way my large accessories will give me more flexibility.

Just a thought.

Spring "Three Egg Family Of Five" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    My suggestion would be to get a large for now, as for the same price as an XL, you can always add a small (which is also great for mini-cooks) down the road. Happy Eggin'! 8 - )
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Unless you cook for a really big crowd the large will be sufficient. A lot of people on the forum use a small as a back up unit.You have the capability of cooking 30 pounds plus of meat on the large.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I cook for 12 adults and 13 kids under 12yrs old on my large.

I couldn't decide either so I started with a large, then medium, then small and probably a mini right soon. What's dumb is there is just the wife and I most of the time.

Grandpa (wanna be like Spring Chicken with a mini) Grub
  • Spring Chicken
    A "mini" What??? LOL

Spring "Big Man Little Stick" Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    When I get big I wanna be like the "Chicken with a coop". Looks like a bit of heaven.

Kent
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Here we go again.
  • Spring Chicken
    As Elvis would say, "Thank you. Thank you varry much."

And come next week it's going to look even better. My International Workforce is finishing up yet another Eggspensive Project. Photos will follow when they are finished and things are back in place.

Spring "Nothing Around Here Is Ever Finished" Chicken
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Steve in MC,

This is a question that gets asked a lot. Most people will suggest the large and I agree with that. I believe that most of us that have both sizes don't use the extra large as much as the large. If you are planning on catering things might be different.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Internationally better, I am eggsited to see. Not sure what else you could do to the coop.

I would like to get something started around here...

Be well my friend and the best to the Mrs. & Rodney.

GG
  • The large will most likely do all that you need to do. The cost difference between the large and the X-Large will give you a head start in the buying a small. Now you can do low and slo on the large while cooking veggies or baking some bread or just grilling some burgers and franks, shrimp or other good things.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    th_CIMG2133.jpg
    I love both large and small.

Walt
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Large and small.

You will find that you do not need more space, but a different cooking temo.

Greg
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    I think it a matter of convience. I noticed that on the video for cooking BB ribs they always cut the rib in half to fit in a large. I can put five full ribs on the rib rack not 2 and half rack of ribs. Sure you can double stack on the large but it you want to spray the ribs and turn them it is not a easy thing, with the XL it is not a problem.

I use a little more charcoal which is not a concern to me. It also gives you more space for straight grilling. I never had enough room to for all the things my wife wanted me to grill over the holidays when using gas grill so why would I want a large with less room to grill than my gas grill.

With eggaccessories you can make the xl really easy to use. If you wife allows you to put to eggs in the yard you can use two and probably do not need the XL.
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    I agree with you Mahi-Mahi, on wife allowing 2 eggs on the patio. :S I like my XL but I can see the point with two eggs. Last week I was searing steaks and wanted to cook some veggies at the same time, a little tuff on one egg.